Request Help: Scored My Dad's Old Fatboy!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
After kinda lurking around the old shaving den here, I kind of grew interested in getting into a more quality shaving experience. I got on Ebay and saw those cool old Gillette Fatboys, and remembered my dad having something like that. So, I called him and asked him if he still had that old silver razor that took safety blades. He wasn't sure, said he'd look around. Well, a week later, this little package arrived at my door, and lo and behold, a Gillette Fatboy! By looking on Ebay, I discovered these are (kinda) date stamped, and this one has a "G" and then a "4." Can anyone help me in dating this? I googled, "how to date a Gillette Fatboy" and got nada. Also, where can I get blades for this baby? It kind of needs cleaning up too -- any suggestions? Thanks, and I look forward to a whole new shaving experience with my father's old razor -- pretty cool!

Upon further net surfing, it appears this razor is probably a "Superspeed" adjustable razor -- looks just like the Fatboy, but with a longer, slightly more slender handle. Another question: What does "DE" stand for?

Whew! After some HEAVY DUTY surfing, I have learned a few things... Yes, Doc M, you are correct, DE is for double edge. I now believe my father's razor is a 1961 Fatboy, but with a slightly longer handle than most of the ones that I have seen pictured. It is definitely adjustable, so I believe, if I have correctly dated it, which I now believe that I have, it would have to be a Fatboy, because the Super Speeds from 1961 were NOT adjustable. This has been fun and educational so far; I can't wait to bust a shave with this thing!

I have used my adjustable model exclusively for 44 years,,,,adjusted up to 9, it's a no nonsense shave,, blades aren't hard to find, but you have to look for them,,,It's a simple quality tool,,,enjoy :cheers:

Are these DE's the Gillette "adjustables" (dial at the bottom of the handle)? Fatboy means nothing to me; I did use that adjustable DE for many years! FTRPLT

TB,

You are correct, your Gillette is from the 4th quarter of 1961. I have several "Fat Boys" and they are amazing razor's, remember to make adjustments only with the doors slightly open, make the adjustment and then close the doors.

Enjoy the new (old) razor!

It sounds like you might have a Gillette Slim Handle Adjustable Double-Edge Razor. I have one of them, a "Fat Boy" and a Superspeed. The Fat Boy handle is shorter and slightly larger around than the Slim Handle, but both are adjustable. The Superspeed is not adjustable.

On a side note, I don't have a need or desire for more razors. I'm not all that interested in collecting more like I do with pipes and tobaccos, but I went to a couple of local antique shops yesterday and saw probably 10-12 different old Gillette double-edge razors for sale in the $7.00-$15.00 price range.

I buy Personna double edge blades at Wal-Mart for around $1.75 for 10 blades and they work just fine for me, but if you read on some of the wet shaving forums some people claim that they are not as good as some more expensive blades.

LtMac

Thanks for all of the replies... One question regarding these older gillette razors: will ANY DE blade work in them? Or are some different than others, or are they uniform, and any DE blade will fit any DE razor?

Trout Bum":e5vukyid said:
Thanks for all of the replies... One question regarding these older gillette razors: will ANY DE blade work in them? Or are some different than others, or are they uniform, and any DE blade will fit any DE razor?
T,

Yes, any DE blade will work. Also you might consider a nice badger brush and shaving soap or cream, all these fine things used together will afford you and amazing shaving experience.

I'll try to help a bit - The Fatboy's adjuster is at the top of the handle, and bears the numbers 1 to 9. The bottom also has a knurled wheel which opens the cargo doors for the blade to drop into. And yes, the handle is shorter and stubbier than most. When I got mine (a 1962 model) it needed a bit of a clean so I dropped it into a glass of Alka Seltzer and left it for 5 minutes. Perfect! (It's an old trick).

I use Derby Blades in mine. Proper shavers seem to swear by them and they're all over ebay, and CHEAP.

http://badgerandblade.com is a good place to start getting info, if I'm allowed to advertise other sites.

Cheers

Midnight Blues":f1jzsk6g said:
TB,

You are correct, your Gillette is from the 4th quarter of 1961. I have several "Fat Boys" and they are amazing razor's, remember to make adjustments only with the doors slightly open, make the adjustment and then close the doors.

Why do you open the door to adjust? I have 2 Gillette razors one has f 4 the other is f 1.
Thanks

PegLegEd":iq4fwyv2 said:
Midnight Blues":iq4fwyv2 said:
TB,

Why do you open the door to adjust? I have 2 Gillette razors one has f 4 the other is f 1.
Thanks
Peg, Sorry for not replying sooner. When the razor is tightened it pins the blade in place to keep it from shifting. The "doors" have to be open to allow the adjustment to take place.