Ronson rash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
Last week I ran out of Zippo brand fluid and resorted to a reserve can of Rosnson fluid, which I keep for removing adhesive and such. The next day, I developed a red rash on my thighs, which spread a bit. A doctor told me it was an allergic reaction of some kind. A pipe smoker told me it was my lighter.

Guess who was right.

Never had any reaction to Zippo fluid, but you know how shitty Ronson is to begin with. I threw the Ronson in the dumpster and got a can of my usual brand. Rash began clearing up within a day. Still some pink spots, but no itching or discomfort, it was really feeling irritated and raw until I switched back to the good lighter fluid.

If there is a next time, I'll resort to a box of matches.

I think Zippos are cool but that´s one more reason I´ll stick with butane now. :affraid:

Do you suppose it leaked onto your leg, or just the vapors from it caused that reaction? I didn´t realize there was that much difference between those fluids.

I had it happen to me as well,yes ronsonol. I only got it though when I filled up,so it has to be from that. It isn't an allergic reaction it is the naptha sucking the oils from your skin and burning it. The same thing happened to me when using super clean without the dishwashing gloves when I was cleaning one time. That was far worse though it covered my hands and all the way up to my elbows and took weeks to clear up.

I had a boss many years ago who was once a fighter pilot.
One mission, he forgot to take the Zippo out of his pocket.
At altitude, the fluid leaked out and he could not reach the
pocket under his leather flight suit. He got a nasty burn.

I do think it was the vapors. Ronson burns pretty dirty, like gasoline almost in comparison to Zippo brand. Upon striking a light, you can even see a little plume of smoke from the chimney with this crap, accompanied by an abrasive odor. I think that such low-grade fluids have contributed to giving Zippos a bad name, as Ronson brand and the like also perverts the flavor of the tobacco.

Back to the vapors. The rash began on my thighs, then spread to the sides of the torso and forearms, bypassing the groin thank God. This suggests I was a bit enveloped in those caustic fumes. Yeah, it did sort of feel like a burn. Again, the rash has dramatically improved just by letting the insert dry outside and filling with my usual brand, carrying the old lighter as always.

I actualy quit using my zippo for awhile because it didn't work right,or so I thought. After coming on here reading about the vapor lock and cleaning around the wick and flint area I picked up another pack of flints and a can of fluid (both zippo) It seems to be lighting much much better. Now to pick up a wick, mine has been in use since 1993 and the wick is a bit short.The gas station don't carry the wicks but I need to go to the B&M to get more pipecleaners anyway,so I will pick one up there,I know they have them.

ronson fluid is all i use in my zippos imho it works better btw zippo owns ronson.

It's a chemical burn and is generally caused by simply overfilling your zippo. I have gotten it from both Zippo brand fluid and Ronsonol.

Gentlemen,

If, after filling, you will light and allow your Zippo to burn for 45 seconds, the Zippo will not leak and cause the burns, of which you speak.

This may not hold true in the fighter pilot scenario, but for ALL others, problem solved.