Rule, Guideline or Guessing Game ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.A.

Reaction score
Reading the boards here I have picked up helpful information, some are guidelines,methods even some certainties.

I read about re-lites are ok when many believe its was a failing to have to do so, due to many variables, it is ok to re-lite.

Also packing techniques, again no one perfect way, Different methods that vary, pipe to pipe, tobacco to tobacco.

Smoking to the bottom of a bowl, having to toss out the last third to half or even re-using un-smoked tobacco in a new bowl. we each have had diffrent results.

Now as I understand it after finishing a smoke, run a pipe cleaner through the stem to remove any moisture, and empty the bowl of ash or wet tobacco, because we want the pipe to dry out correct ?

Ok my question in part is "what" is finished? or maybe "when" is finished?, I rarely get to smoke an entire bowl even loading half a bowl ( most of my pipes are good size bowls?) 3/4 -7/8 dia. 1 1/2 deep, some are even larger.

If I load a bowl and smoke it for 5-15 minutes, I get called away lay the pipe down may not get back to it for 30 minutes, 5 hours or even the next day same original bowl. Sometimes my re-lites are in 2 hour gaps, not because it stays lit 2 hours but because I am back and forth like that. same original bowl

Now when the time between active smoking is so lengthy 8-24 hours, should I be clearing/clearing the bowl?, If so then I would have to re-use the tobacco or toss out 7/8 of a bowl. Which would be very wasteful a big negative.

And if I don't what will be the end results? will this method have adverse effects on my pipes? what guidelines should I try to adhere to? Because this is what I have been doing a good deal of the time. I load a bowl smoke as long as time allows lay the pipe down and re-lite it when I get back to it, be that 1 hour or 24 hours.

And really to me the later smoke sessions are most often better than the first ones, cooler smoother and more flavor, I am talking about my tobacco shop bulk blends. So I guess I am saying it "works" for me? or it seems to.

A bowl can last for days, there are precious few times, like long drives or when doing outside work I can clench the pipe from start to finish but those are rare compared to what my other times are. I may smoke several times a day its just in short intervals.

I know this goes against the rule/method of cleaning you pipe and letting it dry before re-using. I really enjoy pipe smoking just can't do a 60-90 minute session except on rare occasions, If I don't smoke "stolen moment style" then I would hardly get to enjoy pipe smoking more than a couple of times a month.

Now when the bowl is finished even if it take me 3 days, I dump the ash/remnants and run a vodka soaked cleaner through the stem and give that pipe the standard 24 hour rest. vodka as not to impart a flavor, (I use rum when imparting is desired).

Sorry I wrote a novel, I have been pondering this for sometime now. I look forward to your thoughts and wonder if anyone else is stuck having to enjoy pipe smoking the "stolen moment method" and how do you make it work.

For some, myself included, this is actually the preferred process for true smoking enjoyment.

I smoke mainly Virginas, withthe occassional smattering of English/Balkan. For years I faced a 30-45 minute commute and early on got into the habit of lighting a pipe for the drive into work. Upon arrival, I would set the pipe aside and after an 8 -10 hour shift I would lightly tamp and relight, so as to enjoy a smoke home. I found that the trip home seemed much tastier, cooler, and generally more well behaved.

Building on this discovery, I started loading and lighting the pipe for tomorrow's trip, the night before, smoking it to a good char, then setting it aside for the morning commute. This is still the routine I follow, with small modifications, but essentially, the smoke I am enjoying is one that has set for a bit, usually a few hours.

This is referred to as DGT orDTG or some durn thing on the forums, but I reccommend it

Yes, DGT. Delayed Gratification Technique.

It is better with some blends than others. Va´s and Vapers do pretty nicely but I can´t find any formula to predict which are DGT-friendly. I think there is a thread on this somewhere...

I recently tried DH Royal Yacht and it does NOT DGT well at all. :pale:

Pipe smoking is only complicated because we try to make it that way.
The old "if it works" is more true than many care to admit.

If you dig meticulous cleaning do so, if your a minimalist that's cool too.
Smoke it to the bottom in one setting ot smoke it over a few days..
Ole Ken would sometimes smoke then he found weeks later...

Bro, don't worry about rules, common approach, etc etc.. Try it, of it works for you do it, if not figure out another way... The only person you have to please is yourself..

puros_bran":ognyfups said:
Pipe smoking is only complicated because we try to make it that way.
The old "if it works" is more true than many care to admit.

If you dig meticulous cleaning do so, if your a minimalist that's cool too.
Smoke it to the bottom in one setting ot smoke it over a few days..
Ole Ken would sometimes smoke then he found weeks later...

Bro, don't worry about rules, common approach, etc etc.. Try it, of it works for you do it, if not figure out another way... The only person you have to please is yourself..
:cheers: Wise words.