San Diego Pipe Club/J. Alan BBQ

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
Good afternoon, Gentlemen,

Yesterday the SD Pipe Club and the gracious Jeff Gracik of J. Alan pipes hosted a tour of Jeff's shop followed by some awesome BBQ also made by the pipemaker. It was a great time. We had the chance to see the master turn and shape a pipe as well as an explanation of the many steps that go into making one of the best pipes available today. I took many pictures and a few videos but for now I'll just post a handful. It was cool to see some works in progress as well as the setup of Jeff's shop. And, naturally, many fine tobaccos were passed around and good beer and good wine were partaken of.

Here's Jeff turning the bowl and shank on a lathe
9d673528.jpg

7eccaad2.jpg

And this is the block ready to be shaped the rest of the way by hand
7dbd1da7.jpg

4b07bfea.jpg

Jeff on the sanding disc
518d4d7b.jpg

11033dbc.jpg

And fine tuning the shape on his homemade belt sander
7f1fc1db.jpg

And the result was a very nice cross-cut chubby nosewarmer billiard bowl
446ad019.jpg

02bfc1fd.jpg

1ca13d75.jpg

3951286a.jpg

Some works in progress
dceb9eba.jpg

6c18b926.jpg

And after the demo all of us enjoying some slow cooked pulled pork and wine
80f1b080.jpg

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Looks like a great time!! Thanks for the photos.

It 's great to see so many young people who are into pipes. Until I discovered the whole online community of pipe smokers I always felt a little alone with the hobby. To this date Istill haven't ever been in the presence of more than one other pipe smoker at a time! Keep it going guys!

MisterE":10y634fl said:
"o this date I still haven't ever been in the presence of more than one other pipe smoker at a time!

Other than a visit to Boswell's...same here. And the other one smoker is my bud that I turned on to it....

Thanks for sharing that with us Shane. It's tough to beat a day like that,,looks like everyone had a great time,,, :cheers:

Can't imagine nicer way to spend an afternoon, well maybe a Steelers home game.