Sanding & Waxing Afternoon Project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I was bored today and decided to sand down and wax a couple Petersons. The first one was a black gloss fermoy and the second one was a kapet. I've never done this before and love the results. The fermoy turned out a nice reddish-orange brown and the kapet turned out a light golden brown. Both pipes ended up with an amazing grain and birdseye on them. I had a great time doing this little project, both pipes smoke great, and look great. I recommend giving it a go sometime if you have a pipe with a bubbled lacquer or a finish you don't like. These little Petersons are my new favorite pipes! Anyone else ever done this?
Milan

I've never done this. What were your specific materials and techniques?

I used regular old sand paper and a sanding block. The sanding block was one of those soft sponge-like blocks that you can buy right next to the regular sandpaper. I used course, medium, fine, and super fine grit sandpaper. I didn't use any special techniques. I just sanded them down. One was a laquered pipe that had bubbled and the other had a kapet finish which is a golden rusticated look that I wasn't that into. I sanded them smooth paying close attention to the shape of the pipe. You can sand too much in one area causing irregularities, but they're easy to fix. You just sand a little more on the other side. This was especially true of the pipes rim. Both pipes ended up with, of course, their natural finish. I used carnuba wax on both. The more you wax the darker it tends to get. I imagine you could experiment with finishes. I prefer the natural look with the wax for some protection. I love their look, they smoke great, and it was fun. Both pipes feel slightly lighter and very soft in the hand. I also removed the cheap tacky silver ring that Peterson applies to their pipes. The pipes look a hundred times better without the ring. If the pipe you sand down has a ring, you can remove it, but it will not fit back on after sanding. If you love your pipes silver or gold ring do not sand and wax the pipe, for the ring will be useless afterwards.

MisterE,
I hate to say it. I can sand a pipe down that someone else made, but making a pipe (I can only assume) is a whole different story. If you see it in my future though, I want to leave it there. I think pipe makers are the mutts nutts and would love to learn how they do it. I just know how to rub sandpaper back and forth on a piece of briar. I guess you have to start somewhere?
Cheers,
Milan

Thanks for the information. I have a pipe that I'm going to have a go at. It is a "Peterson look-alike," so it will be a good starting point. It does have a silver band on the shank, and I was thinking of using "blue tape" (hardward store) to tape it off and protect it during the process. But now I will think about removing it, as it is loose.

Appreciate the details!

I'd also like to note that the stem and shank will not end up flush after removing the ring and sanding. I just wanted to throw that in there. There will be a slight space, but I don't mind it. I think it looks cool. They will connect just fine and there is no effect on the pipes performance. Good luck and have fun. I enjoyed it just because it made me feel like I learned more about the organic quality of these vessels that I smoke everyday.
Milan

I can see the pipedia page now...

Milan began his journey into the world of pipe carving simply by sanding down some pipes he already had in his collection. Today he is one of the most respected and highly sought after American carvers.

Gentlemen;

I have performed a proceedure similar to this many times. Removing the finish is
not very difficult in most cases. Hard lacqer and finishes other than stain,or wax may require sanding, but pipes that are just waxed or stained, may be stripped by soaking in everclear or other sprits.I agree that when the un wanted finishes are removed, the results are remarkable, in a positive way. once I remove a finish
I proceed with sand paper 800 t0 2500 grit. then carnuba wax on the buffing wheel.

"There's a story behind every bowl"

Milan":7cthlrv2 said:
I also removed the cheap tacky silver ring that Peterson applies to their pipes. The pipes look a hundred times better without the ring.
FYI --- If the pipes have a military mount (meaning a "jam fit" stem with a tapered tenon) the ring is necessary to keep the shank from cracking.

Hey Milan,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was just wondering how you applied the wax. Were you able to do so by hand? I have a beater pipe that I got a good deal on because something went wrong with the finish. I was thinking about sanding it down and waxing it, but I don't have a buffing wheel or anything fancy like that. Do you find that once you have removed the factory finish you need to constantly re-wax the pipe? (I'd prefer my ugly pipe that requires no upkeep than a pretty pipe that requires constant attention.)

I don't suppose you have a picture of the pipes not that your done do you?

If you want a nice glossy finish and want to do it the correct way then you will need wax and a wheel. I did not do that with these particular pipes. I sanded them down and used carnuba wax. I know... it sounds little off, but it worked for me. I applied a thin layer with a towel and then reapplied and wiped with a clean towel over and over. The finish will turn out as a natural matte finish, so if you don't want a natural finish do not use this novice refinishing technique on your pipe. I just didn't care and wanted to play around a little. Be careful not to get the wax inside the bowl. I can't remember the brand I used, but it came in a red tin and smelled really nice. I still smoke both pipes regularly and have done nothing to them since. I know car wax is for cars and not pipes, but for these pipes it worked fine. I'm sure purists will goff at this notion though. I would never do this to a pipe I treasure. It was purely experimental.
Milan

I'm sure purists will goff at this notion though.
I wouldn't say that. I was poking around on pipe maker's forum and what you did is exactly what some of the heavy hitters were suggesting. Most of them used wheels (because to them its nothing to do so) but the chief complaint was that the finish only lasted a few bowls before needing to be buffed again. I'm still on the fence, I'll let you know what I decide to do. Thanks for the info!