Scott's Beer Cellar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
Posted my "man cave" pics in the tobacco cellaring section, but wanted to post more pics of my beer fridge over here in The Speakeasy. Basically, I have been collecting and cellaring beer for over two years now. I used to keep the bottles in boxes in a closet, but recently got a beer fridge from my local B&M, who were throwing it out. They were using it for storing sodas and water, which obviously couldn't be kept cold enough with a wine fridge. I gladly took it off their hands and now have my beers cellaring properly at a constant 55 degrees. I have a wide range of styles aging, but mainly imperial stouts, barleywines, and Belgians. These include 1999 JW Lees Harvest Ales, Samichlaus vintages from 2006-present, 2007&2008 Pannepot, 2006 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine, 2008&2009 Troegs Mad Elf Ale, 2009 North Coast Old Stock Reserve, a case of Thomas Hardy vintages from 2004-2008, and much more. In all, the fridge houses around 70 bottles and I couldn't be happier. Here are a few pics. Enjoy!

-scott

Doc Manhattan":g5b962z3 said:
Looks great! I like that heavy investment in Thomas Hardy.
Indeed! When O'Hanlon's announced that they were going to cease brewing Thomas Hardy Ale, I immediately called around to see if anyone had a case left. I was lucky enough to find a shop within an hour and to my surprise, they gave me a case of mixed vintages from 2004-2008. Last year, I bought a bottle of 1994 Thomas Hardy, and it was by far the best beer I have ever had. It was so complex and drank almost like a red wine. I figure if I can hold onto at least half of my stock for another ten years, I will be rewarded with some more great experiences like I had with the 94!

hobie1dog":54n3dno9 said:
what temperature do you keep it at?
55 degrees. This is an ideal temperature for aging beer. If beer is kept in too warm an environment, the yeast will ferment the alcohol at a faster rate, causing the beer to age more rapidly. If beer is kept too cold, the yeast can be rendered inactive and the beer will either age extremely slowly or not at all. www.beeradvocate.com has an excellent section dedicated to beer cellaring 101. Most of the time I take beers out to drink however, I will throw them in a regular fridge to let them cool down to around 50. I am a sipper and kind of enjoy watching the change in complexity as the beer slowly approaches room temperature over the course of an hour. Gees I am such a nerd :study:

-scott

scottbtdmb":j7r99mx1 said:
I am a sipper and kind of enjoy watching the change in complexity as the beer slowly approaches room temperature over the course of an hour.
-scott
Ditto! I'm another sipper and enjoy the taste variances change with the temperature. Guinness to me has the widest variances along the way.

Oh, and nice set up you have for storage!

Jim