Senior Pipe Reamer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
Does anyone own one? I currently own one of those little two blade mini reamers and I don't like using it so I have been considering the Senior Pipe Reamer...

What do you guys use when cake becomes unruly? Reamer? Knife?

No experience with the Senior Reamer - though I have heard good things. I bought a cheaper reamer to restore some ebay pipes and I found that the sheepsfoot blade on my pocket knife works much better. So far so good.

I have a Senior Reamer.
I'm happy with it, but I don't have
any experience with any other reamer.
I've also used a pocket knife and sandpaper.

Works pretty well,,I'm happy with it,,you can't hog a lot of cake all at once or you get chatter or become stuck, but taking it in a series of cuts works fine,,,it leaves a nice smooth finish,,,

Thanks for the responses, boys.

Additional questions:

Is the "shank reamer" at all versatile? Or is it too small for more open pipes? Too short for longer shanks?

Also, how good is the range of the reamer's adjustable blades?

I have one too and I like it. It's a heavy duty, high quality piece of equipment. The blades are secure and can be incrementally expanded. There is a drill bit located in the handle that is a pull out for reaming the pipe shank and draft hole. This is a great tool for maintaining a thin cake. I use it on all of my bowls, large and small.

LIPIPE":q7qk42ka said:
I have one too and I like it. It's a heavy duty, high quality piece of equipment. The blades are secure and can be incrementally expanded. There is a drill bit located in the handle that is a pull out for reaming the pipe shank and draft hole. This is a great tool for maintaining a thin cake. I use it on all of my bowls, large and small.
Well I'm sold. It's long overdue because my favorite pipes are getting a bit too caked! Thanks, LIPIPE :)

I love mine. Only complaint is that you can't get to the bottom of the bowl with it

I'm giving this thread a bump because I'm wondering if there is a Kleen Reem-type tool that will work on chambers with a smaller diameter... I really like my Senior Pipe Reamer but i have several pipes with a bore smaller than 3/4 of an inch and the tool at its most retracted will not fit... Is there such a thing as a Junior Pipe Reamer or must I resort to using a knife?

I have a Kleen-Reem and am completely happy with it. But, its all I've ever had if you don't count my pocket knife. I can get into any bowl with it and you can find them on eBay quite often for a good price. And it also comes with the draft hole drill in the end of it's handle. The Senior and the Kleen-Reem are identical I believe.

Cody V":8hgs05wf said:
I love mine. Only complaint is that you can't get to the bottom of the bowl with it
Ditto. Don't know what I'd do without it. Anybody know a slick way of cleaning the bottom? For what it's worth, there's a book I once had in which the author averred that the best way to remove cake was to carefully chip it out while the bowl was still warm. It works, but I prefer to leave more cake in mine. Cake seems to mellow the smoke, unless I'm imagining things. Here be dat book:

http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Appurtenances-Philosophical-Discussion-Pleasurable/dp/B000JXDJ7Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325772379&sr=1-5

I have one.. and have used it several times and don't really like it... personally you get the same results using a pocket knife and running it lightly around the bowl or with sandpaper wrapped around a smaller diameter dowel.. just be careful you don't scratch the rim..

$3 for a packet of sandpaper (should last you years)
$1 for a dowel .. if you can't find a round stick somewhere in the house or still growing from a tree

It'll never offset the cost of the reamer... mines has been sitting in my pipe drawer for over 1.5 years with zero use

james