Should this be taking so long??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobie1dog":etocc693 said:
Welcome deepbass to the forum....what kind of audio are you into?
Thanks...

The "hacking, playing original music for no money and not really a musician" kind of rock and roll audio.

I love it all, though, and been lucky enough to see many greats.

deepbass9":ajc24nbl said:
hobie1dog":ajc24nbl said:
Welcome deepbass to the forum....what kind of audio are you into?
Thanks...

The "hacking, playing original music for no money and not really a musician" kind of rock and roll audio.

I love it all, though, and been lucky enough to see many greats.
Cool, welcome!

I read an article on a blog recently, regarding burn zones. I can't remember precisely, but paraphrased it was broken down to a cherry zone, a dispersion zone, and a condensation zone. The crux of the article was that the majority of flavors are released in the dispersion zone and that by keeping the cherry zone smaller the ratio of flavor per draw is increased.

Basically, the dispersion zone is working like a vaporizer and releasing particulates at a lower temperature. Under flame/cherry, the release temperature is much higher and it's more of a combustion thing than an exercise in flavor transfer. I thought it interesting and related to the topic at hand.

Don't forget the biggest bonus to slow smoking; the vaunted DGT! Some tobaccos go from "great" to "sublime" given a bit of resting time in the bowl...which is perfect when the average bowl gets 1.5+ hours of "burn time"; but you can't.

I'm a Balkan/English blend smoker and I always prefer a large bowled pipe. My favorite pipes are oom pauls and they are large. I also smoke large billiards. My best smokes are long slow contemplative ones and they last roughly 90 minutes to two hours. Pressed tobaccos like Penzance last the longest. I always smoke the entire bowl right down to the base of the pipe and I enjoy every last morsel of tobacco. English blends do not leave any goopy dottle so there is never any problem and I maintain a suitable cake in my bowls so there has never been a burn through. I never ever toss unburnt tobacco. If for some reason I do not finish a bowl I usually forget the frank method and use the oreo or parfait method. That is first gravity pinch of fresh new tobacco, second pinch of previously unburnt tobacco and top pinch of same fresh new tobacco as the first pinch. I generally do this specifically I do not like short smokes. If I were to relight the half smoked bowl I would only have a half bowl remaining and to me a half bowl is a tease. So I always smoke a full bowl sometimes with "leftovers". My leftovers taste just fine to me because they are all blends that I enjoy and regularly smoke. English and Balkan blends have subtle flavor differences, however, they are all similar and complimentary so a layered mix is not a bad smoke. I agree to smoke what you like and smoke the pace that pleases you. Eventually the brain on the tips of your fingers know just the right way your pipe needs packing.

my standard was 50 minutes in a dr grabow savoy. And that was very very consistent. That was when I was beginning the first time. haven't smoked since about august of last year. But I'm buying a new pipe tomorrow. Looking forward to it!