simularities and comparisons to smoking and shaving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuervo25_1

Reaction score
while shaving tonight I was thinking ( not completely , just trimming and general maint.) "wow this is kinda like smoking"
you have the low end stuff and the high end stuff. the razors are like our pipes in the sense they are the tools of our habit/hobby the soap is like the tobacco and of course the brushes cups ect are like our tampers ash trays ect. I had an invite to go to Paterson ,which anyone that knows Jersey knows this is a shady city, to go to a barber that still does the old fashioned treatment (scalp massage, pop your neck, shave ect ect ect). In the towns I live in and roam the men go to "stylists" granted I love haveing a womans fingers going through my hair and the view of said woman way more that some guy but I will be damned if I want some Justin Bieber type hairstyle. Just a straight foward mans haircut is what I am after! I may just have to take my co worker up on that offer.

This will not be the first time I been converted to the "dark" side. Started with a couple of friends and them getting me hooked on top shelf liqours and premium beer, same two friends got me hooked onto online gameing in games with thousands of players on at the same time, when I was content with the playstation. then from OTC pipe tobacco to the special blends of tobacconists that is kin of the micro brew beers such as Boswell's blends, and Russ's at Pipes and cigars blends. If this continues next thing I know I will be buying an assortment of razors ,soaps, and other high end mens grooming care products. WHERE DOES IT END! :lol:

Cuervo25_1":w7q8ha58 said:
If this continues next thing I know I will be buying an assortment of razors ,soaps, and other high end mens grooming care products. WHERE DOES IT END! :lol:

No doubt it is a new Acquisition Disorder. I do the traditional wet shaving also, and have found it nearly impossible to limit myself to having just one soap or one aftershave on hand at a time. I love trying new shave creams and soaps and aftershaves.

Unlike pipes, I have never felt the need to have a lot of razors. I currently have 3 DE razors, but really only use one of them.

Same with brushes. I only own 3, but really just use one of them.

It also seems to me that there is a lot of crossover between the pipe smoking and wet shaving crowds.

Been "wet shaving" for over 50 years now and went thru some of the same trying everything out when I was in my 30's also. Have been using the same old Gillette DE razor for over 30 years now , same shaving soap, Johnson's for over 30 years now and I get it at Walgreens along with the Gillette DE blades I've used. You'll get over all this and settle down to one type of stuff soon. :twisted: :twisted:

Been through that with shaving too. Had about 30+ straight Razors, 6 Strops, probably 6-7 soaps open and on the go. after a few years I realized the razor is a tool and i can only shave once a day. I focused on some of the razors I liked and moved on from the rest. Kept 3 strops and have 2-3 soaps on the go.

But yes it is another world of AD. RAD. SAD. HAD

HAD (hone acquisition disorder) is a whole other world.