Smokin BBQ Places

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see Dinosaur BBQ get some love. The original Dinosaur in Syracuse is def. worth a go if your travels bring you to the Salt City... lots of character, and delicious sauce (and that's speaking even as a fan of dry BBQ.)

Lockhart Texas has three very good BBQ joints.
Salt Lick in Austin is okay.
Sonny Bryan's in Dallas is top 5 in the state.
Here's what Texas Monthly says http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq
Not sure I agree and I've traveled all over the state and love small town BBQ joints where the walls are help together by spit and bailing wire.

But what do I know. I'm a native Texan who likes pulled pork over beef brisket, Memphis BBQ and beans in his chili. Go figure.

You know it's BAD when the best BBQ joint around is a chain! Red, Hot, & Blue Memphis BBQ, which is a chain out of Richmond Virginia. You see the problem is, this is Eastern North Carolina, and what they call BBQ around here would be called boiled shredded pork with vinegar and red pepper anywhere else in the country. I'm not going to argue what sauce ya like, but for God's sake BBQ is supposed to have a pink outer band and a deep smoke taste. Put on any sauce ya want after that, but the stuff around here could be roasted, boiled or ????, for all the smoke taste it's got.

WaydeG":kjhiar23 said:
Lockhart Texas has three very good BBQ joints.
Salt Lick in Austin is okay.
Sonny Bryan's in Dallas is top 5 in the state.
Here's what Texas Monthly says http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq
Not sure I agree and I've traveled all over the state and love small town BBQ joints where the walls are help together by spit and bailing wire.

But what do I know. I'm a native Texan who likes pulled pork over beef brisket, Memphis BBQ and beans in his chili. Go figure.

How 'bout H3 Ranch in Ft. Worth? :cheers:

I have two favorite BBQ joints:

The first one is in Junction, TX at Lumm's gas station. Yeah, that's right: a gas station. The open pit is located about 20 yards from the gas pumps and at the same counter that you pay for your gas there is a steam table filled with finger licking ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and all the fixin's. Great stuff and the atmosphere is a kicker.

The second one is my house. I got into smoking a few years ago and started out with a Chargriller (a great bargain in smokers, BTW) and then when a local joint closed due to health issues, I purchased their 1800lb behemoth of a smoker. I've had it for just over a year. It was handbuilt in Bayside, TX and smokes like a dream. We had a family tragedy this week and funeral tomorrow. That naturally means a gathering of the clan so today my brother and I will be firing up the smoker and doing a dozen or so racks of ribs.

My brother has just gotten into the smoking kick and it was his son that passed away so tending the fire and hanging out is going to be a good distraction from the troubles of life for a few hours. And the end reward will be a nice treat as well!