Smoking out of lonliness?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It occured to me that some people smoke out of joy, ohters a lifelong habit, and ohters out of lonliness. I do it for the first and thrid. I have been lonely for a while so i picked up a pipe and i feel a connection. i wonder do es anyone else feel this way?

I'm not sure. I think pipe smoking "enhances" solitude (for me). The word "loneliness" is a complicated one, and has meant different things in different times of my life.

forsooth":0td0p2s7 said:
I'm not sure. I think pipe smoking "enhances" solitude (for me). The word "loneliness" is a complicated one, and has meant different things in different times of my life.
I agree completely with forsooth.

I think at times of loneliness, a warm pipe can become a warm friend. As long as you don't let your pipe get too warm! :p

I'm certain that, even if not as a result of loneliness, everyone of us has become attached/connected to our pipes in the same way you describe.

forsooth":8qr37ej0 said:
I also enjoy my solitude.
(After all, I'm Hermit.) :lol:

I wouldn't call it loneliness exactly, because it's the first time in my life I've been able to control my money. I refer to it instead, as happily divorced! :lol:

Pipe smoking, for me, gives me personally more of an opportunity to get my head straight or to think about stuff that is on my mind. That being said, I like the fact that it enhances my alone time...It's not about an addiction or anything of that sort for me, it's more of "I want to think", and my pipe gives me time to do so.

I'm a very new pipe smoker who started smoking a pipe because I enjoyed the social aspects of cigar smoking but didn't enjoy cigars. In the short time I have been smoking a pipe I have found I enjoy being alone when I smoke.

I live on a small FOB in Afghanistan and usually smoke outside of the back door of the little building we live in reading a book or just thinking. My co-worker asked why I don't go to the smoking areas because they are set up really nice, some are gondolas and all are comfortable and lighted. I told him I usually avoid the areas because I may have to talk to someone.

I'm far from anti-social, but I have found that when I smoke I prefer to be alone with my thoughts or with a book.

Thai'd Up":t6zls62f said:
I'm far from anti-social, but I have found that when I smoke I prefer to be alone with my thoughts or with a book.

I'm sure that bottle of "Single Barrel" has something to do with it. ;)

It is true that smoking a pipe is more of a singular pursuit these days. It wasn't that long ago when one person sitting around a campus pulling out a pipe or cigar would lead others to do the same, not to mention the cigarette smokers. Just the simple gesture of offering/asking for a light could start whole conversations. Now the students still sit around but are attached to their electronics instead of socializing over tobacco. . . .