Smooth combination

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
I am happy to say that I have found a very smooth ink and nib combination thay suits my letter writing style.  Im currently in love with Aladine Blue Calligraphy Ink written with a B-6 Speedball Nib. One dip of the nib easily covered three sentences and a quick stick figure sketch of a crow.  Not sure how to do the water and drying tests like Blackhorse does yet but then again he has a lot more experience in this field than I do.  Blackhorse thank you for tossing me in to this hobby as it has been a blast working on my calligraphy lettering and I started writing in my journals again.

lol. I don't do water or drying tests. But from what I've seen guys just sploosh drops of water on some dried text and see how the ink does or doesn't fare.  The last such test I saw compared Lamy Blue to Lamy Black. The Blue was watery to start with whereas the Black was more saturated. Too, the black stood up well to water unlike the Blue which just washed totally away. I was looking for a new Lamy AL Star and the above decided me in favor of the charcoal "stealth" Safari version...as I wanted another matching pen and cartridge ink combo to card 'out and about'. Note...with the British £ being in the neighborhood of $1.20 USD there are some really good deals over there...even with shipping.

https://youtu.be/J5NXWRI2hCc

PS: I'm pleased you're having fun with the fountain pen(s).

PPS: Watch this section for a new to me journal and custom cover crafted by one of our own. It should be fun and exciting.

PPPS: For what I consider the best, most engaging and most comprehensive ink tests anywhere check out uTube poster "VittaR".

Note...with the British £ being in the neighborhood of $1.24 USD there are some really good deals over there...even with shipping.  

This time I hit a vendor on Amazon with a "USA storefront" - but they are U.K. based and ship from there...Stationary Addicts.  So the above Safari cost me under $20 shipped!

Also got boxes of five Lamy cartridges for $3.25 each...as a four-pack.

Speedball nibs are cool; I've been using C-6s and black India ink on tan Eaton 100% cotton parchment for decades, for when I want to write an epistle for the ages. Eaton makes our paper currency, I believe.

(Hmm...haven't done that in a while. Wonder if brown ink would look even cooler?)

Richard Burley":ilwovwg1 said:
Speedball nibs are cool; I've been using C-6s and black India ink on tan Eaton 100% cotton parchment for decades, for when I want to write an epistle for the ages. Eaton makes our paper currency, I believe.

(Hmm...haven't done that in a while. Wonder if brown ink would look even cooler?)
Im guessing it would look very cool, with the tan parchment maybe a green ink would give you a solid brown effect with enough contrast in brown to tan color that makes it still easy to read.  I ran into that issue while writing a letter on tan stock so i played around with different ink combinations till i found a cool result.

Who? Me? Permanency was my foremost consideration, and especially when using young goat vellum. [joke]

I was checking out Noodler ink on Amazon the other day.  I will order a jar of it today with the praise you gave it Blackhorse, it is reasonably priced as well

Noodler's. The name keeps cropping up. Will do. Yep, I've always thought the way some ink will wash away is scary. I guess I formed that opinion going through old family correspondence, some dating back to the turn of the century or so. I asked myself what would happen if this stuff gets wet? A small experiment showed me.

Then there's fire...

The Noodlers Black has to be THE standard waterproof black ink in the industry. Very good manners. Very forever...if anyone can really make that claim. I mean, who's to judge? No one has been around quite that long...yet. I was watching a History Channel thing the other day about some Papyrus thing they found that was circa 1200 BC. The writing looked nice and crisp and dark...fabulous. So, 3000 years? That's about as much as I'm likely to need. lol. Wasn't Noodlers though. So...