Snuff vs dip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Reaction score
My mother used to use Copenhagen Snuff, the silver can. I know most people use it like they would dip, as my mom did...

I had a chew stint, I could manage Levi Garret and the like, and I nearly died trying Copenhagen long cut (go ahead and laugh...) I was actually here in Iraq. I knew my buddies used it to stay awake on duty during not so stimulating details... and figured, to hell with it, I'll try it (since Levi Garrett doesn't really have all too much nicotine, in comparison to Copenhagen). I put a dip in and was like, "man, this just TASTES strong" Halfway from the PX back to my trailer, I could hardly walk straight (the most nicotine drunk I've ever been). It was about 3 AM in Baghdad, and not a good place to not be fully coherent. I finally managed to get back to my trailer without tripping on anything... and said "never again". Now the smell of dip period makes me want to gag.

Back to where I was intending to go with this.... Is snuff all that different from dip? Does it have the same smell? Because in areas where I can't smoke a pipe to stay up (Nightcap and And So To Bed are not good IMO if you want to stay awake at nighttime, haha) I was thinking about snuff, but if it smells anything like Copenhagen does, I won't even bother having a go at it for aforementioned reasons... :silent:

American-style dry snuff ("Scotch" snuff) might smell/taste like some kinds of unflavored dip, since it's often taken the same way (and often by the same manufacturers.) I never took regular dip like Copenhagen, but Scotch snuff packs a wallop, by nose or dipping a pinch.

Nasal snuff from the UK and Europe, though, have their own aromas and properties. It all depends on the blend--some are purposefully flavored (orange, cola, etc.), others are proprietary blends of flavor, and can be fruity or floral, and some smell like natural tobacco. A few are fermented to get a very rich flavor. Menthol shows up in a lot of snuffs--love it or hate it. The nic is going to vary depending on the blend, the grind, and how long you hold it in. But even the straightest nasal snuff, like a High Dry Toast, isn't going to be much like Cope dip.

(If you like latakia, De Kralingse (a/k/a Dutch Windmill) has some amazing lat blend snuffs. Might be a good place to start, esp. since they're nice and coarse and mild--not too "sneezy".)

Might be worth having a look at the Snuff Reviews site to get an idea of what is available and what might appeal to you. The reviews also give an indication of nicotine strength.

http://www.snuffreviews.com

ermtony":bjzlatpk said:
Might be worth having a look at the Snuff Reviews site to get an idea of what is available and what might appeal to you. The reviews also give an indication of nicotine strength.

http://www.snuffreviews.com
Seems to be I might have underestimated the Vitamin N punch that Copenhagen had. Thank you for the advice and the links so far. I'm definitely going to be looking into this.

Does anyone know if the SCHIP tax applies to snuff as well?

fun factoid- The US military has three to four times the consumption rate of tobacco than their civilian counterparts. Historically as well as modern day. During WW1, upon asking what was needed to win the war...

"You ask what we need to win this war, I answer tobacco, as much as bullets. Tobacco is as indispensable as the daily ration. We must have thousands of tons of it without delay."
– General John J. Pershing, 1918

As you veterans out there know, it usually starts out with relaxation/stress management, as well as Vitamin N needed for lengthy stints of conciousness.

The SCHIP does apply to nasal snuff, but in economies of scale it doesn't matter very much. The increase was $1.50 per pound, or about .3 cents per gram, i.e. $0.003. Even if you run through a 5 g tin per day, that's about $5.50 in taxes per YEAR... not too shabby.

(The taxes here and abroad on smoking tobacco have actually made this a mini-renaissance for snuff.)

The SCHIP does apply to nasal snuff, but in economies of scale it doesn't matter very much.
Lucky man...in Canada it's included under 'loose tobacco' which is RYO, pipe tobacco, snuff and dip. Outrageously expensive.

I've never dipped myself, I knew a bunch of guys in high school that did, but it never appealed to me int he same way.

So now that's de-mystified...

Are there any reccomendations for a first time? Doc gave a few, and I'll look into those. Any others that are favorable?

Where do you purchase your snuff from?

Snuff is totally different than dip. For one, this TASTES good. It is very soothing; I find the mentholated ones even moreso.

The first snuff that I fell for was Cola, but it isn't available any more.

So I would reccomend apricot (dont worry, it's not going to be anything like an apricot). I also like Ozona President for a starter.

Other good starter snuffs that I dont really like are : Ozona Raspberry

Then there's Gletcher prise and Packard Club.

I would stay away from the more finely ground ones for now such as the F&T blends.

Oh do you like licorice (Jaeger?) if you do, try some Anise from Wilson and Sharrow.

I hope this helps and welcome to the club!

Hey TO, my regular online snuff chandler says that they're getting the Poschl Gawith Cola in sometime soon... I'll drop a note here. (Apparently a Royal Mail strike threw a wrench into the works a while back, so it's hard to guess when.) I also just scored some Toque Coke flavor, might be up your alley on that front. Haven't tried it, but the tin indeed smells like Coca-Cola.

This is the guy: http://nicotinerush.com

The one drag about snuff is it's a drag to send a Brother a sample unles you have an intact tin (and even then, it's so cheap to buy fresh retail that it's almost not worth it.)

Texas Outlaw":7ow4h1oe said:
Oh do you like licorice (Jaeger?) if you do, try some Anise from Wilson and Sharrow.
I love licorice. I alway have a bag of it somewhere near me.

Anthony":j6dhd5gb said:
Texas Outlaw":j6dhd5gb said:
I love licorice. I alway have a bag of it somewhere near me.
Wilson and Sharrow Aniseed!

You gotta try this man!