Steaming your Tongue Bitting Tobacco for Smoothness

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovador

Reaction score
I have kept in my cellar for many years some McClelland tobacco that it burned my tongue everything I tried to smoke it. Aging the tobacco it did not help to solve the tongue bitting problem this tobacco was giving me. So faced with the alternative of throwing away two pounds of a precious and tasty well aged tobacco, I decided to become a GLPease for a day and took some of the tobacco to my kitchen and do some experiment with it. I was going to steam out the rudeness of this misbehaving tobacco.

When my dear and not too much tolerant wife got away from home on some everyday tasks, I decided to go for it and dare into her domains. Put a big pot half filled with water on the stove, and placed on top a strainer with about 8 ounces of tobacco. I left the steam worked its way into the tobacco for about 30 minutes or so. The smell produced by the steaming process was not very nice, so I had to keep all the doors and windows. Suddenly, I could hear my wife`s car parking in the garage. My wife had decided to come earlier. Took the pot in a hurry to the backyard and let it there and greet my wife as pretending nothing happened. My wife told me "you have smoking again" (not really she told me"ya te dije que no fumes de noche en la casa **'¡¡¡¡¡***").

Well, anyway. My work was done. Today in the morning I went to smell the steamming tobacco and it smells well. Tonight I will try it out and check if my experiment worked well or not. Anyway, I had some fun yesterday. My stamina is up and I feel like an innovador again.

Another solution for tongue bite if you really like the tobacco in all other respects: Sip some nice liquer (like Drambuie) while smoking......Nice combo and really cuts doen on the tongue bite it a problem....

Harlock, I just tried the steamed tobaco and it was much better. It had some elegant elements added to the flavor (my main fear was that the flavor somehow would be gone) and what it is more important the bite tongue characteristic was really diminished. What I would next is to increase from 30 minutes to 60 minutes the steaming to check if there is not more bite tongue at all. In short, the experiment was very succesfully and gives me ground to keep on experimenting.

Nero, the Drambuie pairing is interisting and it makes sense. However, I dont usual smoke and drink. I either have a beer before or have a strong drink like tequila or whisky after it.

A sip or two of red wine after a bout of tongue bite will wipe it right out, sounds crazy, but I can attest to it's miracle. I think I heard somewhere it's something with the tannins, but that could be way off base. Give it a try!

innovador":pj5bkof2 said:
Harlock, I just tried the steamed tobaco and it was much better. It had some elegant elements added to the flavor (my main fear was that the flavor somehow would be gone) and what it is more important the bite tongue characteristic was really diminished. What I would next is to increase from 30 minutes to 60 minutes the steaming to check if there is not more bite tongue at all. In short, the experiment was very succesfully and gives me ground to keep on experimenting.

Nero, the Drambuie pairing is interisting and it makes sense. However, I dont usual smoke and drink. I either have a beer before or have a strong drink like tequila or whisky after it.
Sounds great, and good to know! Keep us informed of your experiments. :cheers: