stick with de or move to straight?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
<div align="right"></div>Long story short I am currently in NC and might be here permanent. I have my  merkur. De. With me and some blades as well as my shavemac. D01.  Shortly I will need more blades and cream. My question is should I stick with my de or try a straight again? My issue with a straight in the past was I kept cutting the same spot on my upper lip, So I gave it away. For the past 3 years I have been shaving in the shower with just water, but today I had a nice hot shave with my brush and see and shave den cream.

I've been shaving since I was 15 and have tried most forms of razors and personally have found a straight razor works best in the hands of a compitant barber ! There's a reason they named 'em "double edged SAFTEY razors" !! :twisted: Stick with your Merkur, it's one damn fine razor and there's a multitude of e-tailers for blades! JMHOCO :twisted: :twisted:

Over the past 10 years I have tried most de blades and my favorite thus far ate the personna medical blue. They are around 35.00 for a hundred and that's why I thought of a straight. I do need to get new cream as I don't have much with me.

Shaving with just water? You are much tougher than I, sir.

The best shaves I've ever had came from straights, when I went through a spell of straight shaving. I used to go to Frankfurt often and on one of those trips I found a straight razor in the duty free shop. I bought it and brought it with me in the plane, in the carry-on luggage. How about that?

By the way, Tarheel, you can get those Personna blues for less than half that price on Amazon or eBay.

Personally I enjoy a straight more than a DE but they do require more maintenance.  A nice "middle ground" is the Feather Artist Club.  I prefer their Japanese handled razors because they allow better control (for me )

PS: prep is everything, quit shaving in the shower.. Turn on some relaxing tunes, whip up a good lather from the product of your choosing, and enjoy some ManTime.

puros_bran":o3kan7xv said:
Personally I enjoy a straight more than a DE but they do require more maintenance.  A nice "middle ground" is the Feather Artist Club.  I prefer their Japanese handled razors because they allow better control (for me )

PS: prep is everything, quit shaving in the shower.. Turn on some relaxing tunes, whip up a good lather from the product of your choosing, and enjoy some ManTime.
I have started wet shaving again. My face needs to adjust again. A few nicks and cuts today. Used some tobs grapefruit. I need to replace all my stuff that is back in Texas.

I have a Feather AC Jap handle and some blades I can send you to try with the idea being you either send it back at some point or buy it if you like.
I think I have at least a couple of the blade varietys available for it.

I can hook you up with a semi-ok badger for free or send you to whipped dog for an economical good just shy of great brush.

puros_bran":95r3zyya said:
I have a Feather AC Jap handle and some blades I can send you to try with the idea being you either send it back at some point or buy it if you like.
I think I have at least a couple of the blade varietys available for it.    

I can hook you up with a semi-ok badger for free or send you to whipped dog for an economical good just shy of great brush.
I managed to bring my shavemac d01 silvertip brush with me and my mergress razor with me, just no cream or aftershave lol., but the feather would be cool to try. How different is it from a true straight while shaving?

The angles are just a tad different.. But the artist ac ss is fairly 'mild' for a scalpel.  Here's a geofatboy vid on it.  (he annoys me but it shows what I'm trying to show)   <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yFseSLNae_o" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Shoot me your addy in pm and I'll get it out no later than Monday or Tuesday.

2 years ago i began shaving with straight razors and never look back .
Now i have more that 50 , many strops and hones , brushes .
What a hobby