Stuck bit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCook

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I suppose this is the appropriate place to ask. I bought an old british push-in stem Kaywoodie pipe whose stem will not budge. My usual trick of putting it in the freezer and warming the shank by hand did nothing. It refuses all reasonable torque and pull and I'm nervous about getting really stern with it because it's a nice pipe. What are your tricks?

Try leaving it in a freezer for several days. For some reason longer works better. It doesn't makes sense, I know---once the pipe's temp is equal to the freezer's, that should be it---but for some reason it does. 3-4 days, using calfskin gloves for grip, and applying a twist the minute the pipe comes out of the freezer has never failed in my experience.

That, and heat applied to the shank finally did it. I had to remove some rubbery stuff like someone used rubber cement at some point. No need for it- it was snug enough. Great smoker! Old Kaywoodies are a bargain. Never saw one stamped "London made" before.

Thanks for the advice.