Sweet corn on the cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anything better than fresh sweet corn on the cob? Well, maybe but it doesn't get much better than this when it's fresh in off the field and you cook it up and eat it right away.

Just devoured 2 ears and have 3 left to go. Yellow and white kernels, tender,  sweet as sugar, and totally delicious! Just a little butter and fresh ground black pepper.

I love this time of year when the sweet corn comes in and tend to pig out on it. In fact I sometimes make it my main meal!

My late Pap was the all-time champion eater of sweet corn on the cob. He'd come back from the golf course on Sat/Sun after stopping at the roadside stands in Cheesehead land where it was picked fresh every day. He'd come home with 2 dozen (actually a bakers dozen of 13 ea) for our family of 3.

He'd eat a dozen all by himself, one after another! Never saw a man who could eat sweet corn on the cob like him! :pig:

Sure love me sweet corn on the cob. And you?

Cheers,

RR

I can and always could eat a dozen ears or so at a time. My parents used to warn me about doing it, suggesting dire digestive tract consequences, but it never happened. Come to think of it, I can gorge myself on just about anything that has real melted butter drizzled over it. How'd you cook it? Ever try the microwave method in the husk?

Richard Burley":g52ieoeh said:
I can and always could eat a dozen ears or so at a time. My parents used to warn me about doing it, suggesting dire digestive tract consequences, but it never happened. Come to think of it, I can gorge myself on just about anything that has real melted butter drizzled over it. How'd you cook it? Ever try the microwave method in the husk?
I used the microwave but stripped it first and then wrapped it in saran wrap. I'll try your method next.

Cheers,

RR

This is pretty slick:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e8vWhX1zXKM" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Tried that method today and it worked pretty good. Not as fast as the vid, but just need to get the technique down better. The ears are damn hot coming out of the microwave too!

Cheers,

RR

Fresh sweet corn just came in at the local grocery - $2/5 ears - which is a huge bargain. I bought 10 and they'll be gone in no time. Had 2 ears for lunch today, done in the microwave just like Mr. Burley suggested above. Works like a charm too - the wrappers and corn silk slip right off like magic.

I was a little over-enthusiastic though and fried my tongue a bit on the hot kernels. But damn, it was sooooo good! This is a whiter variety with big plump kernels and super sweet. Prolly from Mexico. Just a little butter and fresh ground black pepper. No salt for me being as I'm hypertensive.

YUM YUM!

I clearly remember when I was a lad growing up in Wiz-gan-sin my late Pap would stop at the roadside stands on the way back from his Sat golf game and pick up 2 doz ears fresh picked from the farmers field that day. Back then it was 12/$1 and it would be a bakers dozen.

Mom would cook them up in a big boiling pot and Pap would proceed to devour a whole dozen on his own! Never saw a man who could eat corn like that and prolly never will again!

Cheers,

RR

Nothing says Summer in the Pacific Northwest USA more than fresh local corn.  Cut one day and in the store the next.  

1.  There is a whole episode of the old Nero Wolfe TV show, produced by Timothy Hutton, that revolves around Nero’s passion for perfectly fresh corn off the field...buttered and peppered.  Funny.  For corn freaks, there’s a link below.

(Note: the sound is screwy during the intro but fine during the show)

https://youtu.be/CJKLoFlelWY

2.  Ummm.  How is it “day old fresh” if it’s from Chili?

3.  My Minnesota farm raised aunts used to butter a piece of white bread and then use it as an applicator.  They put the bread flat on the palm and laid the hot ear of corn onto it...kind of cupped the ear with the bread and rotated the corn.  Worked fine.  They then ate the bread, now with melted butter, with dinner, etc.

4.  My thing is butter, salt & fresh cracked pepper.  I have this WAY cool pepper grinder that is battery powered.  You pick it up and when the top is pointing downward the switches the power on...and “grrrrrrrrrrr” fresh ground pepper sprinkles out onto whatever.  Heavy to fine.  Nice.  6 triple A’s.

Blackhorse":l2m2605t said:
2.  Ummm.  How is it “day old fresh” if it’s from Chili?

3.  My Minnesota farm raised aunts used to butter a piece of white bread and then use it as an applicator.  They put the bread flat on the palm and laid the hot ear of corn onto it...kind of cupped the ear with the bread and rotated the corn.  Worked fine.  They then ate the bread, now with melted butter, with dinner, etc.
Well to my taste it's as fresh as coming off the field. Still very juicy. Now to eat it all before it dries out in the fridge. I could also immerse it in a bucket of water like I've done before. That seems to slow down the drying process.

When I was a kid, I ate dinner at one of my buddy's house and the family introduced me to the "butter bread' technique. They used Wonder Bread and even back then I didn't want to eat it afterwards. Plus it just got too soggy and fell apart!

Cheers,

RR

My uncle back in Meadville, PA had a large corn field and it was a treat to pick it fresh and cook it up. A trip to Boulder, Co at a fancy restaurant introduced me to smoked corn bisque. That was so good I wanted to make a meal out of it.

I have been removing all of the stuff you don't want and wrapping the corn with a damp paper towel.
After its cooked in the microwave its so easy to remove the hot towel and you'r all set to go.

Bub":yp2k0ih0 said:
I have been removing all of the stuff you don't want and wrapping the corn with a damp paper towel.
After its cooked in the microwave its so easy to remove the hot towel and you'r all set to go.
I don't do the damp paper towel thing. In fact nothing except to make sure to cut off the end of the ear at about the first row of kernels where it meets the stalk. Otherwise the wrapper won't slide off.

Cheers,

RR