Sweet Finds

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
Going through my tobacco stash, not only did I find a tin of Dunhill Aperitif that I forgot I had, I also found about a dozen bottles of the no longer produced Bee Pipe Sweetener. I like to use it on my pipes occasionally.

It's great when a little digging through the stock pays off. Some tobacconists just dont know they have something precious in their inventory till the right nosey customer snags it up.

are u sure they dont make bee sweetener? my tobacco shop has tons of bottles of it, for like 99 cents, i usually buy one and use it all and go buy another, when did it get discontinued?

put you pipe cleaner in the bottle to soak a little bit on the tip of the cleaner, run it though a few time to get the nasty gunk out( works well with bristle cleaners) and i usually run a dry cleaner in to get whats left. if you ask me, the stuff smells sort of like mouthwash, but very slightly, nothing strong at all.

I never considered it to clean my pipes using any special liquids. I had used only alcohol, but I am considering to use rum. Rum is sweet and has a high percentage of alcohol.

I just found my first bottle of Bee Pipe Sweetener and tried it out last night.....I like it. :lol:

As to the use of rum, Yes I have I used it as a cleaning solution, as to imparting a sweetness, it would depend on the rum used, I use a dark rum, Gosling's BlackSeal black bermuda rum.

Its a good cleaning agent, and a good drink as well :)

I have generally used Everclear, but have used Bacardi 151 Rum as well with good results....The higher the alcohol content (as with Everclear or 151), the less water there is to more slowly evaporate.

Iso for cleaning and whiskey for drinking. If you guys are using potable stuff for cleaning you should make the switch to cheap stuff and spend the money you save on overpriced eBay auctions!

Thomas Tkach":drqqkrm1 said:
Iso for cleaning and whiskey for drinking. If you guys are using potable stuff for cleaning you should make the switch to cheap stuff and spend the money you save on overpriced eBay auctions!
That's great advice!!!!

never tried bee pipe sweetner,but haveand use pipemaster clean&cure pretty much the same thing and it does a good job.

I like to use the isopropyl alcohol as well. The sweeteners do the job, but leave an aftertaste (as advertised) and I m not so fond of that. Iso leaves a little but is gone within a few puffs. I think I still have some Bee somewhere....

Take it from a chemist, isopropyl alcohol isn't the right stuff for cleaning pipes. Try colorless, almost odorless and tasteless Everclear pure grain alcohol. It is called pure because as we all know, ethanol and water form an azeotrope at 95.63% ethanol and 4.37% water (by weight). Yeah, right, but it works great!!!