Tabac Cologne

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? I hear it has a tobacco and leather smell but I was wondering if anyone here who has used it might beable to compare it to the tin note of any tobaccos out there (Carter Hall, FVF, etc.).

Greetings,

My favorite cologne/aftershave/shaving soap/deodorant, etc.! I've been a fan for over 30 years.

Tabac Original been around as long as I have, having been marketed since 1959 by Maurer & Wirtz of Germany. It's hard to find, but worth the search. The shaving soap is excellent!

They make other varieties of Tabac, but the Original formula is the only one I've used. Suits me just fine.

It has a refreshing, clean scent, allegedly using tobacco extracts, though the "official" description no longer states this (most likely due to PC issues).

Here's a link to an etailer that I purchase from:

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_T-am-pid_1248M-am-cid_Cologne__products.html

Availability tends to by erratic, but FragranceX seems to have a good variety most of the time. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

CACooper

CACooper":f2oumkb8 said:
Greetings,

My favorite cologne/aftershave/shaving soap/deoderant, etc.! I've been a fan for over 30 years.

Tabac Original been around as long as I have, having been marketed since 1959 by Maurer & Wirtz of Germany. It's hard to find, but worth the search. The shaving soap is excellent!

They make other varieties of Tabac, but the Original formula is the only one I've used. Suits me just fine.

It has a refreshing, clean scent, allegedly using tobacco extracts, though the "official" description no longer states this (most likely due to PC issues).

Here's a link to an etailer that I purchase from:

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_T-am-pid_1248M-am-cid_Cologne__products.html

Availability tends to by erratic, but FragranceX seems to have a good variety most of the time. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

CACooper
Thanks! I was first made aware of this stuff in wet shaving forums and the soap is on my purchase list.

What type of tobacco does it smell like? cigarettes, cigar, a particular type of pipe tobacco?

Actually, Tabac doesn't smell like any tobacco I know of. It's scent is more floral, I guess, but definitely NOT flowery or perfumy. Really clean, almost "soapy" if you will. It's really hard to describe, but I really like it.

The aftershave is less concentrated than the cologne, so that's what I normally use. The intensity fades after a while and the residual scent is just enough, not overpowering.

There's a reason Tabac has been around so long. It really is a classic, masculine scent.

Definitely worth a try!

CACooper

CACooper":vjlazozb said:
Actually, Tabac doesn't smell like any tobacco I know of. It's scent is more floral, I guess, but definitely NOT flowery or perfumy. Really clean, almost "soapy" if you will. It's really hard to describe, but I really like it.

The aftershave is less concentrated than the cologne, so that's what I normally use. The intensity fades after a while and the residual scent is just enough, not overpowering.

There's a reason Tabac has been around so long. It really is a classic, masculine scent.

Definitely worth a try!

CACooper
Thanks for the heads up, I thought that it had a tobacco scent to it. I am still going to get the soap one of these days but will pass on the cologne.

Do you (or anyone else) know of a cologne that does have a tobacco/ leather scent to it?

Burberry London for men lists tobacco and leather notes, amongst others. I found a bottle at a TJ Maxx... otherwise it's well out of my price range. Very nice, I think.

"Tobacco" is a fairly common adjective in describing the scent of certain men's colognes and stuff. I have no idea if there is any similarity to the real thing, or whether it's an hallucination by some woman or metrosexual who doesn't smoke tobacco at all, and is just using the word because it reminds them of a distant past when there were free range smokers everywhere. I don't really care, as I prefer the stuff you can slap on freely after shaving without regard to the expense. But for those interested in finer things, here's a website below that I use to select perfume for favored wenches. There's men's stuff, too.

http://www.basenotes.net/content/1-home