Tabletop Roleplaying Games

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friar_jay

Reaction score
Not really sure to post this but I'd consider tabletop roleplaying games (RPG's) entertainment so I dropped it here...if this isn't the best fit hopefully the mods will move it. :D

I was wondering... anyone play any tabletop roleplaying games? The kind that involve pencil, paper, and dice.

Personally I'm not much of a DnD fan. For my roleplaying fix I typically play/run scenarios using the classic BRP version of Call of Cthulhu. My kids have had me running a superhero game on occasion for them but they're starting to talk about switching to a LotR fantasy style game. Additionally my family and a few friends have an annual Christmas game we've been playing set in the good old wild west.

Enough geekery from me for now...I'll let you respond. :)

The last I played was ADnD 2nd edition. It's been well over a decade though..

I played a bunch.

. Rifts , a real cool concept but staying alive was problematic for everything but a glitterboy.

Twilight 2000, a stupid cool post WW3 military game
Marvel Super Hero's. Some werewolf game that was far to dark and cerebral for me ( it had a matching vampire game). Shoot we even played Star Wars.

I was into the West End Games version of Star Wars for a few years...still own the books. Heck that was 10+ years ago...ah memories.

The best role playing : World of Warcraft
The best table top: Settlers of Catan

it's not exactly an RPG, but Steve Jackson Games's "OGRE" is coming back with a vengeance (after a huge hiatus) right around the holidays. he ran a hugely successful Kickstarter campaign and they'll be shipping out these monstrous boxes that include OGRE, GEV, and just about every expansion ever done - and some new stuff. can't wait to get mine!

i played D&D a ton back in the late 70s and early 80s as both a player and a dm. played a little bit again in the late 90s, but the damn rules had changed so much (and not for the better imo) i couldn't stick with it.

doody.

Yeah I used to play a lot of tabletop RPG's, lots of AD&D, some warhammer, warhammer 40k, and others. I had to throw most or all of them away in my last move, player handbooks, monsterous manuals, it felt like I was cutting off a part of my childhood. I had spent a lot of time painting miniatures for W40k, most were crap but I had a couple that turned out well, I was going to preserve them but unfortunately a family member decided I didn't need them so threw them out for me. Good times.

George Kaplan":w194hate said:
Rob_In_MO":w194hate said:
I wish my wife were more into bedroom roleplaying games. :mrgreen:
She is, Rob. Just not with you. ;)

Oh yeah, in case you missed it earlier:

Welcome back, George!

the_bird.gif

As a matter of fact, I've been filling in my 1st Edition AD&D "Gygax" book collection this year. I haven't played or DM'ed in 20+ years though.

I played back in the day, a few years after the AD&D First Edition manuals came out. It's been that long. :cry:

Unfortunately for me, once the 'Bard's Tale' series came out, I drifted toward computer-based RPG's.

I couldn't run Bard's Tale on my Tandy 128k. Ah, those were the days. People actually lived. Then came the dark times, The Internet. :)

I've enjoyed a rpg or two on the computer but it doesn't feel the same as playing with a group of friends crowded around a table. My son keeps asking me to run a game using the new Doctor Who rpg produced by Cubicle 7...eventually I will.

While I enjoy fantasy/medieval stuff I much more prefer horror roleplaying.