Te Amo Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I just tried one last night, and it was interesting. I was intrigued by them after receiving a JR catalog some months ago telling the history of the plantation and family in Mexico that produces them. From what I hear locally, people either love 'em or hate 'em.

Me? I wasn't sure. There was a very unique "blackened seasoning" effect with them that I enjoyed, but can't say I'd reach for in every scenario. They were smooth (stupid term to use, but I'm not a cigar guy) but also had a pleasant roughness to them.

Enjoyable, burned nicely, great price.

What do you guys think of them?

I've a friend down in Guanajuato who only smokes the Torro size and always sends me home with a box of 'em when I visit every year. They are a nice change from the usual "Cuban' type of cigar everyone else tries to produce! Kind of peppery with a nice heavy smoke that will linger in the house for a few hours it seems. Don't put them in a humidor with the other "Cuban style" of cigars though, they will sort of "leak into " them flavor wise! I like 'em in the fall/winter with some good dark roast coffee in the evening. I've noticed that a couple of the Mercado's in my Barrio are now selling them at the cash register. :p

They have that classic Mexican maduro leaf flavor, sort of dry and (imho) almost dirt-like. They aren't bad, but they aren't great either. The just are. :)

Smoked a box of the Presidente's years ago. OK for cheap sticks. Nothing to write home about. No comparison to Nicaraguan ligero leaf

Lately my cheap stogie of choice has been the R y J's "(Habana) Reserve" Robusto...sadly my Tinder Box has a really weird and random selection of cigars...they are all over the map, so it's hard to try similar things when I find I like something. Being cigar ignorant is frustrating.