Tell us your country's Slang you use.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree. Took 4 years of French in high school, but when I was in Paris I had a hard time understanding all that was said. On the other hand, when I worked for Bombardier and made trips to Montreal and Toronto I had very little trouble communicating in French.
It could be the people you interacted with used the argot slang. If one is not familiar with it, it can be difficult to understand. A few examples: brother is frangin; a suit, costard, work, taf; woman, nana, etc.

I get identerfing American and Canadian accents right about 70% of the time but have been told a few times over the years don't get them mixed up or they will get really pissed off, is that true or just tongue in cheek? Friendly country rivalry?
I wouldn't think so. We are so similar to Americans in a lot of ways.

It has always staggered me, that for such a tiny country like the England, we have the most diverse accents from any country I have visited, and I've been to most.
For example, I was born and bred in Londons East end, and my missus was born in South London. And you can noticeably hear the different accent of us both. Accents in the UK literally changes not only from county to county, but also from town to town. As for slang, we'll being a Cockney, I intersperse speech with a lot of Ryhming slang

Great clip Zippo. A lot of Aussie sayings originate from the UK. Like we might call a mate "china" as China plate = mate, you would know that one I bet.
Dead horse – rhyming slang for tomato sauce.
dog and bone - "phone"
frog and toad - "road", such as in the phrase "hit the frog 'n 'toad" (that is depart). Also Cockney rhyming slang.
trouble and strife – "wife". Also Cockney rhyming slang.
spanish dancer - "cancer"
sandshoe - "thank you"
Reg Grundys - "undies", underpants, from Reg Grundy, well known Australian television producer, sometimes also "Reginalds".
Pork Pie, porky pie or porky - "lie", typically a white lie, as in "When I looked into it I realised the whole story was a porky pie". Also Cockney rhyming slang.
Mickey Mouse - "Grouse" (A Term used mostly in Melbourne for 'Great'),
Mal Meninga - "finger".
Joe Blake - "snake"
dropkick (and punt) – a stupid person; originally a despicable person, a "cunt". Refers to two types of kick in football.
captain - "look", from Captain James Cook, as in "Having a good captain, are ya?"

All of the above I either use regularly or hear regularly . I just found this cool link.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_rhyming_slang

Last edited:
Buckle up your seatbelt for some newfinese.....

I was born in Québec so let me tell ya after 4 years in NL, sometimes I`m still wondering what people are saying. :ROFLMAO:

Some Newfoundlanders don`t understand what other Newfoundlanders say....and this is no joke, the dialects are very various.

Wow Davy that is one unique accent. I thought at first it sounded a little irish but very unique. I love watching "The Curse of Oak Island" and hear a few of those guys accent come out I just realised.:cool:(y)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_of_Oak_Island

Your France-French ex was betraying her ignorance of the language. The brand of the language used in Quebec did not develop as did the one in France and is consequently the older, and dare I say purer, article.
Sorry, Bud. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

These guys use many Aussie colloquialisms and sayings. When state of origin football came around https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Origin_series every year I loved listening to these guys call the game on the radio, and I would mute the TV funny buggers.
Watch some of their clips for a laugh they roast Greg Norman and Tiger Woods and a footy team that depicted American soldiers on a Anzac day commemorative jersey on this one :oops::rolleyes:

Great clip Zippo. A lot of Aussie sayings originate from the UK. Like we might call a mate "china" as China plate = mate, you would know that one I bet.
Dead horse – rhyming slang for tomato sauce.
dog and bone - "phone"
frog and toad - "road", such as in the phrase "hit the frog 'n 'toad" (that is depart). Also Cockney rhyming slang.
trouble and strife – "wife". Also Cockney rhyming slang.
spanish dancer - "cancer"
sandshoe - "thank you"
Reg Grundys - "undies", underpants, from Reg Grundy, well known Australian television producer, sometimes also "Reginalds".
Pork Pie, porky pie or porky - "lie", typically a white lie, as in "When I looked into it I realised the whole story was a porky pie". Also Cockney rhyming slang.
Mickey Mouse - "Grouse" (A Term used mostly in Melbourne for 'Great'),
Mal Meninga - "finger".
Joe Blake - "snake"
dropkick (and punt) – a stupid person; originally a despicable person, a "cunt". Refers to two types of kick in football.
captain - "look", from Captain James Cook, as in "Having a good captain, are ya?"

All of the above I either use regularly or hear regularly . I just found this cool link.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_rhyming_slang
We use most of them, but a few are different. IE: we would say, "Aving a butchers" = Butchers Hook...look
Mickey mouse = house

My only prob was the sheilas said tinnies were stubbies.

Stubbies are small glass bottles (375 ml) of beer, at least in NSW.
Same in Canada, they bring them back from time to time as a marketing novelty. They were originally made with a short neck so they would be less effective as a weapon in bar fights, the bottle mouth breaks easily away from the rest of the bottle, unlike a long-neck.

My only prob was the sheilas said tinnies were stubbies.

Stubbies are small glass bottles (375 ml) of beer, at least in NSW.
yeah Timbo I picked up on that mistake also same in QLD too (y)
the old style
1713726296840.png

the new style
1713726340970.png

A Darwin Stubbie, big drinkers in the Northern Territory

1713726608346.png

Last edited:
First had Castlemaine Bitter while in Hong Kong 1978!!! FTRPLT
That was approximately the first year I tried it also ft. Dad used to let me have sips on his xxxx while he watched me mow the yard when I was about 9yo no wonder I'm an alco :ROFLMAO:;)
Fyi ,
At one point or another, every XXXX drinker has pondered the question: what do the Xs in XXXX mean? Well back in the day, beer quality was measured in Xs. The brewery’s first drop produced was XXX Sparkling Ale, awarded a very respectable three Xs. But something was missing. In 1893, the brewers perfected the recipe further, gaining a fourth X – and, some years later, establishing the XXXX name that we all know and love today.
Our story starts back in 1878 with a wide-eyed and crazy dream. Two brothers, Nicholas and Edward Fitzgerald, had one goal in life: to create the finest ales known to man, loved by generations across this sun-drenched land. After starting out in Castlemaine Victoria, the boys decided they needed a world-class brewery (and warmer weather), so they packed their bags and headed to Brisbane.

They bought an old distillery and on the 13th of September of that year, the first beer was sold. And so the Castlemaine Brewery was born, known today as the home of XXXX.

Buckle up your seatbelt for some newfinese.....

I was born in Québec so let me tell ya after 4 years in NL, sometimes I`m still wondering what people are saying. :ROFLMAO:

Some Newfoundlanders don`t understand what other Newfoundlanders say....and this is no joke, the dialects are very various.

I need a case of DEPENDS! This is hilarious!