The "After My Last Sea Tour Cellar"!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonarman

Reaction score
So if you dont know I am a Sonarman, like "Hunt for Red October" Jonesy but minus all the Tom Clancey B.S (No we dont have radar looking screens and a machine that tells us whats out there, believe it or not we do that ourselves) Anyways I am going to be moving back to the "Submarine Capital of the World" (Groton Ct) this summer and will report for duty on my 3rd boat, and possibly last for a 4-5 year tour. So after this quick and slippery slope I have gone down I decided to start a cellar that I wont touch until 2017-2018, mostly because I wont have any time to sit down and smoke a bowl and Mother Navy along with the current administration decided a few years ago to permanently snuff the smoking lamp out on Submarines. This is what I have so far. I dont really like heavy Lat blends and because of that its mostly Va, VaPers, Orientals, and Burleys. My most prized tin is the 200 grams of Special Curly cut, but a few of the McClelland Orientals have called my name in the middle of the night. I really want to top it off with a few more Oriental Va's/Burleys that contain no Lat, but they seem very hard to find.

temporary_zps558c8e00.jpg

temporary_zps06dcf6e4.jpg

temporary_zps1195243f.jpg

temporary_zpsaa25ee68.jpg

temporary_zps0007648f.jpg

Are there any of the tins that are known to lose a seal over time?

Great post last sea tour collection there. I did 1 tour on the ex USS Altanta from 81 - 84. Went Corpsman and never went independent duty. I miss those days a lot! back then though, I smoked a pipe while manning the helm :D

Yes, as Kaser said, check the square tins. Those are the most likely cadidates for leakage. Check your Ball/Mason jars from time to time, too. The seals will compress and and might require another quarter turn after a few weeks or months.

thats a great little collection.. 2017/18 will be a great year...believe it or not I've come into a few 6-10 year old tins this year and have been smoking some of them.. and boy do I wish I started collecting a few years ago.

james

I think I'll just jar the square tins, I'm not much of a gambling man :lol:

Good luck on your tour and future pipe smoking enjoyment...drop us a line in 3-4 years and let us know how life's treating you & your " 'bac :p "

Nice Cellar good luck on your journey, and thanks for your service to our country

What a fine cellar you have gathered, some absolutely marvellous blends there, please tell me you get to smoke a bowl or 5o on shore leave, do you guys even get shore leave on Sub's, it's all a bit of a mystery to me to be honest, the idea of living in a Sub' scares the hell out of me, not a huge fan of the Ocean me. :)

I've had plenty of time Kirk, but all good things must come to an end.

sonarman":viq8nn46 said:
I've had plenty of time Kirk, but all good things must come to an end.
Aint that the truth Buddy, glad you get some time for yourself. :)