The best Sherlock Holmes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rathbone was a good actor but, as others pointed out, Nigel Bruce's portrayal was not reflective of John Watson's character. Watson does not have Holmes's intellect but he is no idiot, either. Then, there is the fact that the stories were either so watered down/edited as to be almost unrecognizable from the original, or either they were stories of their own having no link to Doyle's work. I have watched less than half of the movies featuring Rathbone and Bruce and had enough. I did, however, like The Hound of the Baskervilles even if modified.

Brett interpreted the detective brilliantly. I think he fairly understood the essence of Holmes and was able to act it. Burke, then Hardwicke, were excellent matches and balances to the character's extremes. Also, Jeremy read the canon several times throughout the years in order to perfect his interpretation of the detective. I have purchased the Granada's complete series and watch them over and over again on a regular basis. I find Brett and Burke/Hardwicke to be extremely convincing.

As though not based on the canon, I did enjoy Downing Jr.'s incarnation; as well as Law's. It was refreshing and I found the plot around Lord Blackwood's, then Moriarty's respective megalomaniacal attempts for world domination entertaining. Jared Harris's portrayal of Moriarty was a tour de force as he was very easy to immediately detest on the spot.

I'm an old buzzard LOL so IMHO Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce were the best of the best in this series hands down. I'm sure others have a different opinion and you're welcome to it. :D :D :D
Doc
Basil and Bruce were activists
Rathbone was a good actor but, as others pointed out, Nigel Bruce's portrayal was not reflective of John Watson's character. Watson does not have Holmes's intellect but he is no idiot, either. Then, there is the fact that the stories were either so watered down/edited as to be almost unrecognizable from the original, or either they were stories of their own having no link to Doyle's work. I have watched less than half of the movies featuring Rathbone and Bruce and had enough. I did, however, like The Hound of the Baskervilles even if modified.

Brett interpreted the detective brilliantly. I think he fairly understood the essence of Holmes and was able to act it. Burke, then Hardwicke, were excellent matches and balances to the character's extremes. Also, Jeremy read the canon several times throughout the years in order to perfect his interpretation of the detective. I have purchased the Granada's complete series and watch them over and over again on a regular basis. I find Brett and Burke/Hardwicke to be extremely convincing.

As though not based on the canon, I did enjoy Downing Jr.'s incarnation; as well as Law's. It was refreshing and I found the plot around Lord Blackwood's, then Moriarty's respective megalomaniacal attempts for world domination entertaining. Jared Harris's portrayal of Moriarty was a tour de force as he was very easy to immediately detest on the spot.
All others were actors, you remember the stories when you watch them. Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes, when you read the book you see Jeremy. Period.

When I reread Holmes, it's about 75% Brett and 25% Rathbone in my head, YMMV. Still, the Holmes of many of the stories was much younger than either actor

When I reread Holmes, it's about 75% Brett and 25% Rathbone in my head, YMMV. Still, the Holmes of many of the stories was much younger than either actor
A keen and relevant observation. You are absolutely correct. If I remember well, Holmes was around his mid twenties when they met?

I agree, lets not be too critical of all of Holmes's characterizations, although Bruce's portrayal seemed more comic relief and never did Waston's character justice. I also enjoyed Downing Jr."s portrayal along with Law"s. I also enjoyed Benjamin Cumberbatch's character and series. As with all iconic characters, they will always be subjected to personal interpretation or maybe not?🧐

Yes, Sherlock would have been at most around 25, Watson a bit older, in 'A Study in Scarlet'
Considering his medical studies (medicine being much more advanced in Europe than in North America at that period), some private practice upon graduating, then joining the military and serving in India, most likely, Watson would have been in his early 30s, I reckon.

Considering his medical studies (medicine being much more advanced in Europe than in North America at that period), some private practice upon graduating, then joining the military and serving in India, most likely, Watson would have been in his early 30s, I reckon.
Remember, back then there weren't pre-med requirements, it was an undergraduate degree in our terms