This Technique Thing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I have been trying so very carefully to just take snuff in the nose. Seems like if I get anywhere near a little sniff, I end up with it in the back of the throat.

I already know what happens with a big sniff. You never ever want to do that with something like Old Mill Perfecto. Sure..........great cigar flavor. As I recall it set off the radiation alarms at the local nuke power plant.

It's this always getting it in the throat thing that I need to work on. Maybe my sinuses are just screwed up. Probably why I get awful colds every couple years.

The aim is to get it just inside the nose to coat the soft tissue there, then enjoy the aroma as you breathe. I found it helps sometimes to breath with an open mouth so some of the inhalation comes through the nose and some through the mouth. I found also that putting a small bit of snuff on the tip of my finger and placing it inside the nostril opening, then pinching closed the nostril, succeeds in getting the snuff just inside the nose and not "Up in there".

I have the benefit of mass amounts of nostril hair, so any hope of getting anything way back there is unlikely at best. Also, I don't block one nostril to increase flow. I figure if it won't lift, it shouldn't go.

Probably shouldn't do this anyway, but it beats Russian roulette with a semi-auto...........

I do like the smell, and sometimes the burning, tears and dizziness reminds me I'm alive.

I highly recommend it!

:lol!:

Carlos, my sinuses are about as screwed up as you'll ever find. Deviated septum and all kinds of polyps and other excess tissue. I use a small spoon sometimes to just spackel the tobacco in the front of my nose sometimes. Not very glamorous but it works. The other thing I do that works for me is place a very large bit of tobacco on the pad of my thumb( about the size of a really big watermelon seed) place it up to the nostril I want and seal it off, then I block the other nostril open my mouth and very lightly sniff as I pull my thumb down from my nose. It's not pretty but seems to cause the tobacco to scatter more which keeps it out of the throat.

Hope this helps
Jim

Ozark Wizard":te5uplqp said:
...I do like the smell, and sometimes the burning, tears and dizziness reminds me I'm alive...
:lol: Ditto here, especially in the a.m. when it's doubtful. I gotta either exercise more, drink less, or take more snuff.  Hmmm...tough decision.

It's not glamorous, but:

If you're really having a little bit of trouble, try wetting the tip of your finger and then moistening the insides of your nostrils. It'll help get the snuff to catch in the front of the nose...if nothing else, it buys you some time to work on the technique without sucking in a throatful of dust every time you miss the mark.