Tobacco Tins Collecting?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallSmoke

Reaction score
So I have been thinking of sprucing up a corner of my humble "man cave" for the pipe stuff I have (and am getting) and started wondering about the old/antique tobacco tins I've seen so many of you with. So, what's the deal with them? Is there a particular thing or type to look for? Any in particular worth more than others? Any sites with info on them?

I ran by a large (18,000 sq ft) antique store on the way home today and the guy has like 500 of them on the shelf and said he had 10 times that in his storage area. I'm guessing there are plenty of them out there? I saw plenty of Prince Albert, Middleton, etc. And a few I've never heard of. Too bad there's not a price guide out there for this sort of thing. Or is there?

TallSmoke,

I thought about this... Actually it's likely a good "quest" for a younster like yourself. You need lots of room. The tins in Canada are going for as much as you would pay for tobacco in a tin.

I bought a "Repeater Tin" (with RCMP image) a year old so ago... $35... or so for my "man-cave"... I would say... go for it... find a nitch... mine is older tobacco cutters...

BTW, for a price guide... google search, and you'll quickly get an idea.

Tall,

I'd value 2 oz tins of Velvet, Briggs, Union Leader, ect at $10.00 each. The 8 oz'ers usually sell for under $20.00. More obscure tins can go for big money! Look on ebay under tobacco tin. Then change the settings to "highest first" you'll get a pretty idea of what sells for the big bucks.

Personally, I only want em' if they're full of tobacco too! :lol:

That's good info, guys. Thanks. I was thinking about tinkering around in some antique shops this Saturday. Might see what I can find.