Trim that wick!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Zippo has been in more or less constant use since I got it refitted with the pipe insert. So that goes back some 6 months or so. Lately I'd been noticing that it took 3-4 strikes before the flame would catch most times. Refilling didn't seem to affect this either.

Finally yesterday, I remembered something one poster said about the trimming the wick. As I'd never done this before and had no idea how, I got out the brochure Zippo sent me along with the pipe insert.

There was a pretty straightforward description of this, which basically said when the wick became black with carbon to pull up the wick until a new section showed and then cut it to the top of the chimney.

I had to first remove the little top bracket thing which just snaps out, and using a needle nose pliers pulled the wick up until a new white section was to the top of the chimney. A regular scissors was too wide to snip off the black/carbon part so I used a skinny hair trimming scissors which worked fine, since one has to go in through the round hole in the insert to reach the wick.

I frayed the end a little and did my best to clean that up since it likes to unravel, straightened it out as best I could, and put back the little top bracket thing.

What a difference that made - it was exactly what was needed and now it lights first time, every time!

While this is old news to a lot of you who have had Zippos for ages it was a new technique for me that brought back the performance 100%.

So trim that wick if it gets black and coated in carbon and you'll be good to go too!

:face:

Cheers,

RR

Ja Ja, alvays mit ta chokes.....

rausch.gif

Cheers,

RR

Hey Brewdude: Good Shabbos to you and the pooch this evening. Your written "Yiddisha exxent" is not too shabby for a guy who isn't Jewish. I appreciate your effort enormously. Smoke well bro.

LIPIPE":s7v859ei said:
Hey Brewdude: Good Shabbos to you and the pooch this evening. Your written "Yiddisha exxent" is not too shabby for a guy who isn't Jewish. I appreciate your effort enormously. Smoke well bro.

And backatcha Marty. Oy vey.....

biglaugh.gif

Cheers,

RR

LIPIPE":53kcs60w said:
What a great group of guys....Love ya all! Marty
Indeed!

I'm not much of a Jew myself, I was actually married in a Catholic church, but at the end of the ceremony the priest looked at my family's side of the church, shrugged and said "oy".

Hi Dave: You are what you are and you know what you are. Your culture is in every fiber of your being regardless of whatever "church" you are married in. The important thing is that you are a decent, honest, trustworthy and compassionate man, a good husband and father. I am not religious either, my late wife and I were married under a canopy (chupa) in our back yard surrounded by friends and family in 1976. A rabbi performed the ceremony and many of our guests were not Jewish. My brother-in-law is a vascular surgeon, he is Jewish and his wife is an attorney and she was raised in a Catholic home. She has not converted, however they maintain a Jewish home. I have close ffriends that celebrate all holidays both Jewish and Christian. The decision that is best for children and family life is the decision that is made by the couple themselves.
In a real sense, in America today, religious practice is not as rigid as it was years ago. There is intermarriage and inter-religious contact more now than in previous years. The internet has brought religions and cultures together like they never were before. So religion is what you make it and assimilation in our society is changing formal behavior and practice. The important thing is to embrace diversity and respect others and their beliefs whatever they may be.
The universal Hebrew greeting is Shalom. Translated it says "Peace". Many Christians reside in Israel and they too speak Hebrew. There is no such thing as not being "much" of whatever you are.