Tuning In From Ottawa

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey gents (and ladies)!

Junkyard Dawg here, currently living in Ottawa, Canada, eh! :lol:

I have been in the pipe smoking world for almost 27 years now. I really like most: VA/PER like Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture, C & D Kajun Kake, Escudo, GL Pease Fillmore; some VA/BUs like C & D Exhausted Rooster, University Flake, Mac Baren Symphony; LAs like GL Pease Sextant & Gaslight as well as Dunhill Durbar; and few select aromatics like Mac Baren Cube's series, Black Ambrosia and the delightful G & H Lakeland like Ennerdale and Rum Flakes. Pipe wise, I do fancy Stanwells and Lucianos, as well as some Rattrays, Cavicchis, Dunhill, Falcons, among others; and I tell you, Brothers (ans Sisters): I love my meers.

How did all this start? Even though I had a first encounter at 13, it all really stems from back in 1988, on a Tuesday morning. Drinking my coffe at home at 10:39, I got up from my chair and said to myself something is missing in my life! Just listening to my intuition, I took a stroll towards downtown and ended up in a tobacco shop. Then, I saw them, and went hhhhaaaahhh: there they were, on the wall, them pipes and tobaccos. :cheers:

So, I started off with a $10 briar and a pouch of Sail Green and never looked back. I knew nothing about how to pack, light or smoke a pipe. Did I care? Nope. I had decided I would be a pipe smoker and nothing would stop me. So I packed that pipe; I packed it to the top and lighted the thing up. The first few puffs, I was just in bliss. Then it started to taste wrong, of course, as I was straight on the wood. Then a few minutes later, I just went What the H&?%; how can anybody like this?

Did that stop me? Nope. See, I am keen; and I knew that if most pipe smokers were still smoking their pipes and enjoying it, I was probably just missing a few tips & tricks. So I started tracking down any gent I would see smoking and told him I was a pipe smoker too and bugged each one of them to no end by questions and observations. Surprisingly, they all have, with no exceptions, always been patient and generous with me.

Today, I'm just crazily passionate about our hobby. The time I spend on the internet watching pipes, eying tobaccos, reading articles and forums, while smoking a good pipe packed with a good tobacco, is quite ridiculous. Do I care? Nope; I love it and that's all that matters.

So, for the new guy reading me, if any: it's no secret. Learning to smoke a pipe quite takes patience, determination, perseverance and a healthy dose of stubborness, at times. ;) At least, today, there is the internet and forums to help one learn much better throughout the process.

That's about it. I've been looking at this forum and think it's pretty cool so I figured I would register and come say hi. Hope to join the gang and have some fun with you guys (and gals).

Hay Dawg, nice intro and bio. Good to know you stuck with it, and here you are 27 yrs later still puffing. Great advice for the beginner/novice.

Glad to have you here with us.

Cheers,

RR

Glad you made it JD, a couple very good carvers on this Forum.Bradley

Hello Dawg old chap. Welcome to the forum. 27 years *long drawn out whistle*, that's a heck of a lot of smokes! Great little story of how you started out. Just think, if you hadn't stuck it out, you wouldn't be here now!

Looking forward to sharing a few bowls...

Pip pip.