Twenty Six Days (Pipe content)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
I recently came across a blog on Marty Pulvers' website about a book called Twenty Six Days, written by Regis McCafferty. It is clearly written in the style of old Victorian London (i.e. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) and chronicles a young detective named Joshua Pitt. I decided to buy a copy for my Nook off of Barnes&Noble and all I can say is that I am thoroughly enjoying this story. Pipe smoking plays a prominent role in the story, as Joshua is called out to Kendal for a case and winds up getting employed at a local tobacco shop there partially as a cover. Pitt always packs a couple of pipes and his tobacco pouch when he goes out and clear references are made to BBB, Comoy, and Peterson Pipes. Joshua also makes it known that he prefers Arcadia Mixture and several fine offerings from Samuel Gawith. I highly recommend this book for any pipe smoker who enjoys Sherlock Holmes style stories. As far as I can tell, McCafferty did extensive research to make sure that the style of writing, the dialect, and the common English references are all true to the period. Check it out....you won't be disappointed!

-Scott

Thanks for the tip! I love a good Holmes pastiche. I found the Twenty Six Days not via an author search (even though the name had a (7) behind it, designating there were seven titles attributed to McCafferty, it kept saying there were no works to show. Searching via the title, however, produced results. I picked up the Twenty Six Days (under $4) and found another titled, "The Serlock Holmes Adventure" which is a collection of short stories. I found it interesting that in one of the descriptions it described Mr. Pitt as a former 'Baker St. Irregular' - one of the many street urchins employed by Holmes to spy, run errands and keep tabs on unscrupulous characters. Excellent. Other of his books are anthologies of his short stories both of Holmesian nature and in the American Southwest in modern times...or his poetry...etc.

One evaluation of the book in question praised the author for his use of period language, grammer, structure, etc. which is something that is the hallmark of another excellent series written by one of the best writers of any genre, portraying as her main character Sherlock's wife...Mary Russel Holmes...a Jewish scholar encountered by Holmes in her first book..."The Beekeepeer's Apprentice". If you've not stumbled onto this series I give it my very highest recommendation. The author is Laurie R. King. There are numerous books in the series. She also has a modern detective in San Francisco (all the best detectives work there don't you know) with a twist. She also has quite a good book under a pen name about a community that follows WWIII living in the hills outside S.F.

Be all that as it may, thanks again for the lead. My shelves are filled with items such as 'Holmes for Christmas' and a recent anthology with authors like Lee Child and Neil Gaiman, etc. So much Holmes, so little time. Always up for a good read!!!

Blackhorse":t3svvq4x said:
Thanks for the tip! I love a good Holmes pastiche. I found the Twenty Six Days not via an author search (even though the name had a (7) behind it, designating there were seven titles attributed to McCafferty, it kept saying there were no works to show. Searching via the title, however, produced results. I picked up the Twenty Six Days (under $4) and found another titled, "The Serlock Holmes Adventure" which is a collection of short stories. I found it interesting that in one of the descriptions it described Mr. Pitt as a former 'Baker St. Irregular' - one of the many street urchins employed by Holmes to spy, run errands and keep tabs on unscrupulous characters. Excellent. Other of his books are anthologies of his short stories both of Holmesian nature and in the American Southwest in modern times...or his poetry...etc.

One evaluation of the book in question praised the author for his use of period language, grammer, structure, etc. which is something that is the hallmark of another excellent series written by one of the best writers of any genre, portraying as her main character Sherlock's wife...Mary Russel Holmes...a Jewish scholar encountered by Holmes in her first book..."The Beekeepeer's Apprentice". If you've not stumbled onto this series I give it my very highest recommendation. The author is Laurie R. King. There are numerous books in the series. She also has a modern detective in San Francisco (all the best detectives work there don't you know) with a twist. She also has quite a good book under a pen name about a community that follows WWIII living in the hills outside S.F.

Be all that as it may, thanks again for the lead. My shelves are filled with items such as 'Holmes for Christmas' and a recent anthology with authors like Lee Child and Neil Gaiman, etc. So much Holmes, so little time. Always up for a good read!!!
Glad you picked up a copy and thanks by the way for the recommendations. There are fewer pleasures I enjoy more than loading a pipe, pouring a drink, and indulging in a Holmesian adventure! I will be sure to look into some of those Laurie R. King books.

-Scott

I finished 'Twenty Six Days...' all too quickly. Excellent offering. Very period...though I believe quite modern in some interesting respects. I also learned the origin of the name of St. James Flake! It was a fun read in all regards.

I also snagged "The Sherlock Holmes Adventure", same author, pub. 2004...so prior to the '26 Days' piece. It's six short stories, one of which was expanded into the larger work, I guess. The first tale...about a hooker who lost her toothless mom, was quite amusing.

Pity there are so few of these in the author's folio...I'd read them all if there were.

Blackhorse":jen9pv10 said:
I finished 'Twenty Six Days...' all too quickly. Excellent offering. Very period...though I believe quite modern in some interesting respects. I also learned the origin of the name of St. James Flake! It was a fun read in all regards.

I also snagged "The Sherlock Holmes Adventure", same author, pub. 2004...so prior to the '26 Days' piece. It's six short stories, one of which was expanded into the larger work, I guess. The first tale...about a hooker who lost her toothless mom, was quite amusing.

Pity there are so few of these in the author's folio...I'd read them all if there were.
Yeah I did the same exact thing as you and bought "The Sherlock Holmes Adventure" as soon as I finished "Twenty-Six Days". I agree that he should have written more stories about Joshua Pitt as it seems that the "Twenty Six Days" story was his final story about the enquiry agent. Hopefully, he will decide to write more in the future!

-Scott

I got this book the other day only read a few pages and from what I have read I love. I am trying to not read it until I head back to Iraq it will help pass time while flying over. Great tip on a good book thank you.
Best Regards
Richard

Richard -

I'd recommend also getting the other one of his...the Sherlock Holmes Adventure! It's 6 short stories...and REALLY good to read as a preface to the larger Novella length 26 Days Book.

It's about the same $4 price as the other one. If anything, the first one is even more impregnated with pipe stuff than the book.

Blackhorse":sbqe0s7y said:
Richard -

I'd recommend also getting the other one of his...the Sherlock Holmes Adventure! It's 6 short stories...and REALLY good to read as a preface to the larger Novella length 26 Days Book.

It's about the same $4 price as the other one. If anything, the first one is even more impregnated with pipe stuff than the book.
Thank you again I will do just that. the 15 hour trip I have coming up this should help a lot thank you
Best Regards
Richard

Richard Hester":forlq695 said:
williamcharles":forlq695 said:
Thank you Richard for your service and God bless and keep you.
Thank you sir that was very kind of you.
Best Regards
Richard
My war was in a dirty little jungle 40 some years ago so in a way I can truly say that I know some of what you face.

Chuck

Chuck - Mine too. Blackhorse = 11th U.S. Cavalry Regiment. Armor, not Air Cav. Bad boys. Crazy on occasion. I was Medical Corps...thankfully. Spec 5...super medic. Gave shots to teeny butted hookers. Inspected ice. Took cultures from barware. Went to Australia. Treated orphans and ARVN dependents...including livestock...and Air America (CIA) folks. Lots of stitches. Lots of rot. Rode APC's, Abrams tracks, deuce & a-halfs, dugout canoes & Hueys. Helped Buddists burn their dead. Slept through gas attacks. Interesting pipe blends, potent. A different world. A different time. More than an education, it changed everything. Went over a dumb ass college grad...came back whole lot smarter.

Former Seabee. Served in NMCB5 & NMCB3. Direct support Third Marine Air Wing. Home ported Port Hueneme Calif.
Built bridges, runways, bunkers, security towers, barracks...anything that needed building. Provided combat support and security as required.
Received combat training at Camp Pendleton Calif. I was first automatic rifleman, first platoon, first squad Charlie company.

Construimus, Batuimus - "We Build, We Fight."

Blackhorse and Wiliamcharles I thank you both for your service I lost my dad in Vietnam he was on his 4th tour and expected to be home in a few weeks when he was killed he was 24 years old his MOS was combat engineer and done most of his time in the tunels for he was a little man of statue but a big man to me. I love all the men and women who serve but I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Vietnam Vets thank you again.
Best Regards
Richard

williamcharles":je9fgj0e said:
Richard Your dad was the kind of man that we all can be proud of. A forty five and guts!
Thank you sir, he has always been my hero and the reason I served 20+ years.
Best Regards
Richard

Blackhorse":td7bbfze said:
Wow! So your Dad was a RAT? He musta been some kinda guy all right!
Thank you Blackhorse, yea he was a RAT he was a little feller but a tough old dog.
Best Regards
Richard