Up the River Without a .......

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I seem to be thoroughly confused, or else making new discoveries about the differences in taste buds and body chemistries between people, including our own younger and older selves.

Anyway, before I take everybody along on this endless trip down the river, the tobacco subject at hand is Seattle Club's Mississippi River.  I used to smoke and enjoy just about everything as long as I could still stand up and walk with ease.  Now, as an older gent who has returned to the pipe after a ten year (more or less) hiatus I find I am almost exclusively a Virginia and VaPer smoker.

The only tobaccos I smoke regularly that include some Orientals in that VaPer mix are Tudor Castle and Pebblecut, and I silently thank Brother AJ for recommending them to me every time I contentedly puff away with one of these in my assigned pipes.

After reading every review of Mississippi River it seemed like a fantastic smoke, just the kind of thing that I was ready for to expand my horizons,  One gent even compared it to the aforementioned Tudor Castle and Pebblecut, for God's sake.  How much more prodding did I need?

Well, to cut to the chase, the other morning I barely got through a bowl of this .........stuff.  The only way I knew it had Virginia tobacco in it was not by taste but because my tongue was bitten to one open sore by the end.  I should add here that I almost NEVER experience tongue bite with any of my Virginia based tobaccos.  Maybe it's because the dozen or so of them are McClelland blends that might have something to do with it, but I just finished big bowl of Hearth & Home Louisiana Red so that shoots that theory down.

Anyway, I can't understand how this can be classified as a VaPer.  It was more like Squadron Leader flunk-out.  I tried to get rid of the aftertaste and salvage my after-breakfast smoke by grabbing the first thing off my shelf that met my eye.  OK, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, great.  I went outside, filled my pipe and lit up, smoked about half the bowl and realized to my horror that I wasn't TASTING it! I had a case of MOUTH GHOSTING!  Argh!

Going back and reading the praises of Mississippi River (tastedlike carmel edges of chocolate chip cookies) etc, I just shrugged my shoulders. One guy wrote he didn't get it while smoking it in a pot so he switched to a tall narrow bowl and recommended that.  I dutifully had used a new Savinelli Spring Poker that had been hanging around for awhile.  Didn't work.  Only thing left is to work up the nerve to try it again, I guess.

Anybody out there experience anything similar with this tobacco (or any other) where by all accounts it should have been right up your alley but just didn't make it?

All the time sir, all the time. It's hard to explain other then saying we are all different when it comes to what we can, can not and, enjoy to smoke. There's Burley's I can smoke and there's Virginia's I can smoke and I do prefer my Vaper's but, not all Vaper's are created equal. I've got a whole lot of tobacco I like from the very first bowl that I don't care for now and just the opposite. Who knows? I just mark it up to our bodies chemistry and how it changes along with our taste buds as we grow more mature, without admitting we ever get older. Or should that be the other way around? Well, maybe for some. ;)

I gave up trying to figure it out a long time ago. Tastes change, especially my own. I find myself being drawn to aromatics now, after decades of rejecting them. I don't even care--it's all pipe smoking.

I can't tell you how many recommended blends I've found lacking. I always cringe when a reviewer says ("if you like ___, you'll like ___").

mark":gzcg6e5f said:
I can't tell you how many recommended blends I've found lacking. I always cringe when a reviewer says ("if you like ___, you'll like ___").  
You got that right! ;)

mark":vtxt10ve said:
^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^ :)

AJ