Viking suggestions.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
So with the impending issues getting snuff I'm looking at a couple 500 gram tubs of Viking. Each one should last me from 6-10 months. I know I want the Dark, but the only other one I've had was the peach which is good, really good but I'm not sure I want that much of it. So what do you guys think of the others? Is Thor's Hammer any good? Is it stronger than the Dark? Is there anything out there that works out to be a better deal than the Viking?

Jim

I haven't tried any of the Viking snuff. I have only tried the Vanilla snuff from Silver Dollar. Have you tried any of the Silver Dollar stuff?

I might have to look into trying some more snuff! I'm not sure I'm doing it right LOL.

The silver dollar and Toque are the only ones available locally with a rare apperace now and then of a few WoS tins. I've tried the SD Apricot and the Natural or whatever they call the unscented one. Surpisingly I like them better than the Toque. I liked the Apricot but it was kind of one dimensional and found that mixing it with Viking Peach made for a much nicer snuff to me.

I'm guessing you're getting a lot of burn and it's going way to high in your sinuses because it's so fine and dry. The Viking is much coarser and has a fair bit of moisture in it too which will help you keep it in the nose instead of in your sinuses. You can use a snuff spoon to actually place the snuff inside your nose and pack it against the front to allow you to use the finner snuff until you perfect your technique. It made me feel like a bit of a dork doing it that way but it worked. Stick with it though I find I enjoy my snuff even more than I do my pipes.

Jim

That's what I need. A snuff spoon.

I got a snootful of Old Mill Perfecto not long ago. I set off the radiation detectors over at the Clinton, IL power plant.

All Vikings share a similar grind/moisture: a bit finer/dryer than "medium" in both cases, but they tend to feel very silky and are easy to take.

Dark: Deep fermented tobacco, briny, leathery, a bit of tarmac. This is a top-5 tobacco for me.
Brown: Similar to Dark, but less extreme. Not quite as leathery or tarmac-y, but still a "dark" snuff.
Blonde: I have no use for this, except as a base for home scenting. It's easy to take but it's practically scentless. I guess if you need the nicotine but don't want any aroma it's ok, but it's a non-event for me.
Thor's Hammer: The aroma is similar to, but a subdued version of, Dark and Brown. It gives you the punch without being overwhelming. Stronger in nicotine than dark (I think), but not stronger in aroma.
Peach: Well...it's peach.
Spear: Spearmint. No menthol added, so if you like something cool without menthol this is solid. It's on a dark tobacco base (similar to Brown, I think), so you mostly get Wrigley's gum followed by an undercurrent of dark tobacco.

If you like one of Dark, Brown, or Hammer, you'll probably like the others in that group - it's just a matter of which you like the most.

Kaitlyn, I have and use a cuticle pusher from a manicure set as a snuff spoon.

Ian, thank you! I think that's a better run down than even the descriptions on the mr snuff site. Have you tried the Snuff Store blend Golden Pinch? I'm not a big fan of floral scents but this one sounds intriguing to say the least.

Jim

I haven't...I not a big fan of floral scents, myself, so that's not really one that I've been looking at to be honest.

BTW, "Snuff Store" snuff (like Viking) are all manufactured by Sam Gawith, which you probably knew. If you're looking to save a (very) little bit of cash:

SS Cafe Noir = SG Black Coffee
SS Black Magic = Viking Dark

And of the rest have analogues in the SG/Viking line, as well (to my knowledge). Btw, the SS Gin and Tonic is pretty nice snuff.

Lol the only way to really save any money on it is to buy the 500 gram tubs. It ends up being half the price of the 25 gram tins. The quality was the big giveaway as to who the manufacturer is. lol there's no way to hide it. I figured I better order a few of the 25 gram tins as well as the last thing I want is to get 2 kilos of Viking Dark and burn out on it halfway through the first tub. If I remember right the prices for the SG stuff are pretty much the same as the SS and Viking prices. Again you've been a huge help thank you.

Carlos":ilky0js0 said:
Enablers!  That's what you people are!  Dang it!  Now I have an account with Mr. Snuff.  

Hope it gets here ok.  :sunny:
Yuppers, enablers alright. Between Hufflepuff and Blackhorse I ended up with an account with Mr Snuff as well. (sigh) More choices.................

:D