Vito Video - The Dark Light

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito

Charter member
Reaction score
"Invisible, mixed in with the night..."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GSR_CmdtnLg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>​
newjok12.png

Thanx, PD.

Ric heard the original instrumental track (here) and asked me to let him do a vocal on top of it. So I dropped the lead instruments and remixed it to make room for the vocal. Everything else just sort of fell into place.

Then...well, you know how one thing leads to another. Ric said, "We need a video...". I figured, why not—the only thing I'm risking is my non-existent reputation as a music video producer. It came out pretty well, though. :mrgreen:

newjok12.png

Vito, that was awesome! Great track--good music, interesting tale, fascinating lyrics, and--I have to say--good video editing! It reminded me of how songs used to be composed late 70s/early 80s where the theme could be dark, but the music could be almost uplifting. Being a sucker for post-apocalypta themes anyway, you had me at the first broken building. :) :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":gp0ew0gc said:
... the theme could be dark, but the music could be almost uplifting...
Bingo! You totally nailed it, Kyle. When Ric said he wanted to turn the track into a song, I imagined that the bridge (in the middle, with the twang solo) would have a kind of uplifting sort of theme...a juxtaposition in lyrics and melody to the rest of the song. When I told Ric that idea, he said, "That's great, but it shouldn't be a vocal. You should do that with a guitar solo...something that words can't say..."

Hmmm..."So you want, spiritually uplifting twangitude, huh? I'll see what I can do..."

What I came up with is on the track. I guess it's my version of...er, unspeakable hopefulness. :mrgreen:

newjok12.png

I felt it, brother. Nicely done on all angles.

"...spiritually uplifting twangitude..." :lol: No better words. :D

huffelpuff":18k2zgoe said:
Vito........wow this is quite good! Well done sir!

Jim
Jim: I'm shamefully late with my thanks for your kind comments.  :oops:

In my defense, I missed your post. The only reason I found it today is that the audio track still haunts me. It was the soundtrack accompanying a dream so vivid that it woke me up this morning. I couldn't remember whether I had ever posted the video here on BoB, so I came looking for the thread.

Thanks again, amigo!

newjok10.png

A first-see for me today, too.

Besides having that "infectiously soothing" road song shuffle rhythm and being professionally played and crafted... how can anyone NOT appreciate the glorious cognitive dissonance of fingerstyle neo-Country licks on a Telecaster being the soundtrack to The End Of The World?

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Thanks LL. The video is a case study in the art of going with the flow. I had no idea where Ric was going to take the tune, and there was no planning or preconceived notion of where it where it was going to go. I just sent him an instrumental track and let him run with it.

He sent the original instrumental mix back to me with one verse and one chorus of his vocal on top, just to show me where he thought he wanted to go. That gave me a clue as to how to rearrange the track and remix the instruments to create some sonic space for a lead vocal.

Where he ended up taking it was a total surprise. I never could have come up with such lyrics. But once he did, I thought, "OK...cool." Then when he suggested I create an accompanying video, the ideas just came flooding in. The lyrics evoked such strong imagery that all I had to do was find images to illustrate it...along with some Vitonian augmentation via Photoshop.

Anyhow, predictably, you zeroed in on the twangitude as the key musical feature. It's my favorite part of the track.

newjok10.png