What, am I twelve years old...or what?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Enter what I think is one of the coolest pens I’ve seen in a very long time.  From the rock solid PENBBS company in Shanghai.  The pens made by PENBBS have a reputation equivalent to TWSBI so far as I can tell.  This one is the 456.  It’s a “negative pressure” fill design - like the TWSBI VAC 700.  So, call it a vac fill.  It’s got the plunger thing, metal rings and threads, superb acrylic (cast as a block and machined...the right way).  It has a good (very good/smooth) two tone nib.  They are big and rock solid. They go for a low of $35 on up...beware of bidding if you’re not careful. The ETSY site has an outlet for PENBBS.  I would recommend that over eBay for sure.

So long story short.  I was browsing...saw it...HAD to have it.  There are a number of different swirl acrylic colors and patterns.  The one I HAD to have is the 71SF color. I think the color is called “mid-summer”.  

God help me...it’s GLOW IN THE DARK!  Sometimes I doubt my sanity.  You can stop laughing any time now.

I got the last one of this color in stock from ETSY.  Others are available here and there.  I paid $35.

First pics - color range and vac fill photo...then the one I ordered.

Blackhorse, those are some very nice looking pens. I like the blue one and the clear one. I’ll have to make a note of these too. Goodness my short list is becoming a long list.

I have never had any dealings with a twsbi. I’ve just seen Utube reviews and Goulet videos on them. Although I have been looking at the twsbi ego.

What do you think about Etsy? I have never bought anything from a seller there.

When you receive it please give us a review on it. I’m very curious about the pen, nib and the dealing with Etsy.

The TWSBI model you mentioned is the ECO...for “economy”. I have 4 and recommend them, and any currently produced TWSBI, with my highest recommendation.

As far as ETSY goes...there you are working with a group of individual sellers, so like eBay it’s good to check out the reviews of whomever you’re thinking of buying from. It’s like going to a Mall...lots of different stores. I have dealt with a fair number of vendors there and not had any problems. I recommend the PENBBS Store very highly.

Go to uTube and search “PENBBS 456”. There are a number of expertbreviews and comparisons there. I’ve provided links to a few below. Specifically, check out any Chinese pen with a uTube reviewer “chrisrap52”. He’ the king of the Chinese pen reviews.

https://youtu.be/Z1xEjKCnyjU

https://youtu.be/161ubNp_wDs

To get your feet wet with a PENBBS model I would very strongly recommend the 309...a piston filler also with extreme quality...huge capacity, gorgeous acrylics, a #6 Nib that can very easily be changed out for one of the huge variety of other maker’s nibs...Schmidt, Jowo, Bock, Goulet, whatever.

https://youtu.be/yVMteUyQmCk

The 309 goes for about $25 on up to a bit over $35 depending on color and current supply/demand.

These pens are all ordered from Shanghai, etc. so you’re looking at up to a month for delivery.

I love my Twsbi Eco, I would use it more often but I don't think I like the stub nib, might try to replace it because the pen is nice.

OK...the 580 and Mini nib units are not the same and are not cross compatible so far as I know. I have never seen any data on replacement nib units for the ECO...but Jet pens doesn’t list any replacement ECO parts...neither does Goulet.

Where does Goulet say that these things are interchangeable?