What are you blending?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
What new recipe are you trying? What blend is coming out of the jars and into your pipes?

Five Brothers / Wessex Cavendish / McClelland 5100
We'll see if I'll add some cigar leaf to this after I give it a roll........

At the moment, the ever-changing blending bar is stocked with open jars of:

Cornell & Diehl Bright Flake (#170)
Cornell & Diehl Dark Burley (#059)
Cornell & Diehl Red Virginia (#525)
McClelland Bulk 5100 - Red Cake
McClelland Bulk 5105 - Stoved Virginia
McClelland Bulk - Blended Turkish Ribbon
McClelland Bulk - Blending Perique
Varia - Mixed Cigar Leaf (i.e., clippings)

A recent favorite on-the-run blend has been ~40% 5100, ~30% Bright Flake, ~20% Stoved Virgina ~10% Perique - had some tonight in an old canted Dutch clay. Lovely.

1-Q & BCA at a 75:25 mix.

With the success of Lane's BCA & 1-Q at a 1:1 ratio, i've got some of the same mix in waiting at a 75:25 ratio (75% 1-Q, 25% BCA). If I don't like it as much, i'll just add a little more BCA to get it back to my preferred 1:1 ratio.

Update - I tried the altered ratio (3 parts 1-Q and 1 part BCA) and didn't care for it as much. I then added a little more BCA to make it a 2:1 mix (2 parts 1-Q and 1 part BCA); a little lighter on the BCA than 1:1, but more than the mix I experimented with.

I really like the 2:1 mix - it's not bad either, in fact it's just as good if not better. There is a difference - as compared to the 1:1 ratio. I might have found the winner!

A short while ago on another board, the 2 (1-Q) to 1 (BC-A) was advocated. I really like it, myself.

I mixed up some Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold with some McClelland VBC (about 1:1), and it was pretty good, also.

Ten Russians and Bob's Chocolate Flake. About 50/50. Call it Russian Chocolate. Very very good.

A good one I found on the net a year or more ago...

6 parts Lane 1Q, 4 parts Stanwell Melange, 2 parts BCA 

Really brings the stanwell under control

I am currently working with:

C&D
#517F/R - Virginia Flake / Virginia Ribbon
#525 - Red Virginia (Good straight, smoke carefully)
#525v - Red Virginia Cavendish
#166 - Turkish Izmir
#523L - Cyprus latakia
$169 - Burley White

McClelland
Blended Turkish Ribbon
5105 Stoved Virginia
Blending Orientals (I like the McClelland Blending Orientals a lot, straight or mixed. )
Eastern Carolina Ribbon
Perique - Ribbon Cut
2010 Classic Virginia
5100 Red Cake (on order)
Cyprus Latakia

I'm a big 4Noggins fan and I typically get everything from them. They have the best, most organized selection of blending tobaccos I've found.

Blends:

1 part - #517F/R - Virginia Flake / Virginia Ribbon
1 part - #525 - Red Virginia
1 part - 5105 Stoved Virginia
1 part - McC Blending orientals

Sweet and spicy, a current favorite

One variation that is delicious adds 1 part white burley.

English-type #17 (I do a lot of blending)

10g Solani VA Flake w/Perique
5g McClelland Blending Orientals
Good
10g Latakia
5g 5105 Stoved VA
Nice English
2.5g C&D #525v Red VA Cavendish
A bit sweeter

Pressed in sous vide bag for 4 days.

Standard English-ish Mix (for me)

10g Virginia Ribbon (C&D #571R)
10g Red Virginia (C&D #525)

or 20g of 2010 Va
--

10g McClelland Blending Orientals
5g Turkish Izmir
10g McC 5105 Stoved VA
15g Latakia
5g C&D #525v Red VA Cavendish

40% 2010 VA Flake (rubbed out)
40% White Burley (#169) - Prince Albert works well too.
10% Cyprus Latakia
10% Perique

All of these blends change character the longer the ingredients marry. I find that they all need at least a month to 'click' and the English-type are better after at least 2 months. YMMV

I also find that using one of those nifty, zippered Sous Vide bags with the little hand pump helps the process along sometimes.

This is a pretty nice article as well http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/how-to-adjust-a-blend/#more-4298

Kapnismologist":cbk6bphm said:
A recent favorite on-the-run blend has been ~40% 5100, ~30% Bright Flake, ~20% Stoved Virgina ~10% Perique - had some tonight in an old canted Dutch clay. Lovely.
Sounds great. I'll have to whip up a batch of that myself.

Also, I find that when I'm really in the mood for a Vitamin-N kick, nothing quite hits the spot like a 50/50 mix of Peterson's Irish Flake and JackKnife Plug!

tweaksource -

some great sounding recipes you have there - I do some pressing too (typically in a bench vice, which creates quite the cake).

I can now say that my latest experiment was a complete 100% success. With my liking of the 1-Q & BCA at a 2:1 ratio, I tried the same ratio using RLP-6 / BCA.

It's Great, even better than the 1-Q / BCA mix - IMHO. Any of you Brothers that liked the 1-Q/BCA mix should try this one out - I like it even more! Everyone loves the room note and it's mild yet flavorful. My dad (a veteran pipe smoker of 35+ years) absolutely loved it and is now including it in his daily rations.

Definately another staple in my cellar.

I call this “Blackstrap Burley.” I love VA’s and McClelland Red Cake is a staple, but I get a hankering for some burley now and again.

Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop: Burley, Virginia (very little I think), Perique (even less I think).
Now this is the good part. Spritz it with Cruzan Blackstrap Rum, get it good and wet. I use an old eyeglass (small) spritzer bottle that’s been washed out and Cloroxed so no aroma. Let the Haunted Blackstrap Rum Tobacco dry out. 20 grams.

McClelland Tastemaster: Burley, Cavendish, Black Cavendish, Virginia. Flavoring: Cocoa / Chocolate. You could use any aromatic for this, the McClelland’s seem to be nice premium tobaccos. I do let this dry a little bit. 20 grams

Now, this is the good part. Pressing. You can do the wood blocks and C-clamps thing. My system is much simpler. Mix your two tobaccos, my mix is 50/50, you could do 3 parts burley, 1 part Tastemaster, or what-ever.

Put your mixture in a small plastic bag, put that in another small baggie. Fold it up like a cube. Don't seal the baggies, they will pop, just fold them over.
Move your car ahead or back 8-12 inches. Place baggie where your wheel is going to be, drive back or forward so your car wheel compresses the baggie full of your mixture. Car's weigh about 2 tons average, 4 tires, divide by the square inches of the tires, MULTIPLY by the number of telephone poles on your street, add in E=MC squared and you got LOTS of weight on your tobacco. Math is not my strong suit. My car "Presses" (smashes down) tobacco like a champ, that's all I know.

I’ve “Pressed” for 24 hrs up to a week and could not tell the difference so I’m going with the 24 hrs. I want to smoke this stuff, not marry it, got one of those. Even 12 hours works. Press from 6 PM to 6 AM, go to work, you got "Pressed Goodness."

Taste: I like this. It tastes a bit likechocolate, but you Do taste tobacco, unlike some aromatics that are just flavor. I think that’s the premium McClelland and the C&D Burley. Want less of the aromatic flavor, do a 4 to 1 mix. My mix is 50/50. The Tastemaster is Chocolate/Cocoa and vanilla, some maple, to me it’s not a heavy taste and I like it.

You might be wondering about why the Rum on the Haunted Bookshop. Well, I smoked some of that right out of the bag and it seemed 'harsh' to me. It just had a somewhat harsh astringent (think grape seed) taste. This Blackstrap Rum seems to mellow tobacco. Yes, I've spritzed it on all kinds of tobacco, so I figured it would mellow out the Haunted. NOTE: you don't have to use Cruzan Blackstrap, it is a rum with a Good Amount of molasses. It's not a spiced rum like Captain Morgan, it's just aged Rum and molasses. I DO like the taste of Molasses on my tobacco. You can use Any Rum, probably Jack or even Vodka, although I'd go with something that's got a little flavor. Single Malt Scotch or Single Malt Irish Whiskey would probably work to. I sip the Cruzan so it's already in my liquor hiding place...er cabinet.

Hope you like it.

I'm not much of a blender but I wanted something just mildly sweet that could be had locally. I mixed equal parts of PA, CH, H&H and a black cavendish and was surprised that it was actually pretty good. A good river bank/fishing mixture. I told you I wasn't much of a blender. :)