What is a Highgrade?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I have 6 Dunhills that I bought brand new... in Canada they are are quite expensive... the Dunhills ranged from $400 to $800.

I also have Brighams that are top of the line (7 dot)... $150- $200...

What do you consider a "Highgrade"? Is it price, make, maker asthetics... ?

I think you've touched on a subjective topic there Puffs. Not sure that there is much of a definition beyond 'The best a maker is able to produce and bearing many qualities of the finest examples in it's genre'. You can have a high grade Kaywoodie, according to many, and they fetch a couple hundred dollars. A high grade Dunhill may fetch close to a thousand and a high grade Ivarsson several thousand. Of course there's the argument that all Ivarssons are high grades and that all Dunhills are high grades even though they do produce some relatively affordable shells. I would never tell a man that his shiny new Dunhill Shell is not a high grade. Then there is the fact that some "High Grade" houses put out less than perfect pipes that still fetch high prices.....

Not sure there's a simple answer :?:

As Jim said, this is a HIGHLY subjective question and to me one that's sorta dangerous to answer. I'd say that there's high grade pipes and uber high grade pipes...

Some High Grades:

Rad Davis
Alex Florov
Dunhill
Will Purdy
JT Cooke

Some Uber High Grades:

Sixten, Nana & Lars Ivarsson
Bo Nordh
Kurt Balleby
Jess Chonowitsch
Dunhill (magnum and special edition pipes)
S.Bang (pronounced S.BONG NOT S.BANG) :lol:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":hva5yylj said:
As Jim said, this is a HIGHLY subjective question and to me one that's sorta dangerous to answer. I'd say that there's high grade pipes and uber high grade pipes...

Some High Grades:

Rad Davis
Alex Florov
Dunhill
Will Purdy
JT Cooke

Some Uber High Grades:

Sixten, Nana & Lars Ivarsson
Bo Nordh
Kurt Balleby
Jess Chonowitsch
Dunhill (magnum and special edition pipes)
It's always interesting to me what other folks define as über HG, vs. just HG, and, I totally agree that it's quite dangerous turf. What really separates and defines these meta-categories? And, isn't it more appropriate to discuss HG/ÜHG pipes as distinct from HG/ÜHG makers, not to mention the continuum that exists in either grouping? If we really take the time to be analytical, the plasticity of the terms make them almost meaningless, really. What is HG to one collector might not even be a blip on another's radar screen.

I've seen Purdy, Howell, Rad, Florov, Lindner, Cavicchi, Heeschen &c, &c pipes that are, in every respect ÜHG pipes, and I've seen pipes from the makers in your ÜHG list, and others, that just narrowly squeak their way into the HG category, often by virtue of name, alone.

In my view, at least, there are other issues to be considered. Is the wood well aged? Is there some noxious bowl coating used to masque the flavour of less than outstanding briar? In the end, no matter how perfect the construction, no matter how beautiful the cut, or exquisitely flawless the finish, the smoking characteristics and my own enjoyment of the piece are what really matter to me. For others, rarity, artistry, and, sometimes, even price can be the higher arbiters of these loose "definitions."

It's an interesting discussion that comes up frequently, and never seems to find universal agreement amongst a wide range of collectors. I pretty much gave up trying to pin things down, and just enjoy each pipe for what it is, irrespective of whatever hyperbolic box it's coerced into.

I'm an equal opportunity pipe junkie...

S.Bang (pronounced S.BONG NOT S.BANG) :lol:
Bahng is closer, not Bong. A bong is something rather different. ;)

-glp

Pipe heathen that I am to me the question of high grade, etc. always came down to dollars and cents. My first "high grade" (at least to me at the time) that I purchased was a $250 Don Carlos. At the time I was mainly smoking Savinelli's, Peterson's, Brigham's, Jirsa, etc. I always watched in wonderment when I would watch Contented Piper spend $1000+ on a single pipe. After seeing his collection many times its not so much wonderment of price but wonderment of such fine creations. I think it is great that some of my fellow BoB's can purchase and collect the "uber" high grades. I for one always like seeing (and gaulking) at their collections.

My so called "yardstick" currently is:

• mid grade = > $150
  • high grade = > $300
  • uber high grade = > $800

The above doesn't even take into consideration pipes created by some carvers who only charge in the $150 to $300 price range who's creations IMHO should be considered high grade or even uber high grade because of fit, finish, grain, quality of briar and just all around quality and craftsmanship of the piece.

Just my .02 cents worth.

If I go by price and looks alone, my highest grade is a Le Nuvole stubby Dublin I paid a few Franklins for. Great grain, smokes well, hard to clench, a little on the heavy side. Got a couple L'Anatras with great grain that cost me some Franklins. Excellent smokers both, love the duck head staring back.

But my highest grades are the drugstore brand pipes I inherited from my dad, which he smoked for 40+ years with complete disregard. They are full of dings, scratches, rim burns, tooth marks, and he smoked nothing but drugstore aromatics in them...but they are all spectacular smokers. LL's got 2 of them for refurbishing, and I have about 10 more to send him after that.

I could get some money for the Le Nuvole and L'Anatras on e-bay or a trade; probably squat for my dad's, but I wouldn't trade them for the world.