Whats your smallest flake pipe? contest PRIZES AWARDED

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPUD 15

Reaction score
Just stared smoking pipes again after 30+ years off. Luckily for me I did not get rid off all my pipes when I quit. I've always likes flake tobacco and have a few flake pipes, of course some are smaller than others. Just wondering whats your smallest flake pipe? After a week or two I will sent a small gift to the brother or sister that lists the smallest flake pipe. The only rule is the pipe must be brier or meerschaum no metal, glass or any other material, no Kiseru pipes from Japan either. Here are a few of my flake pipes.

#s 1,2,3 and 4 all Kriswills from the 60's except# 4 from the early 70s
#5 Savinelli Lollo
#6 Peterson Barrel
#7 Astleys of London
The chambers of these pipes except for #1 are from 5/8" through 7/8" and the chamber depths are from 1 1/4 through 1 3/4 straight and tapered they all will take about 1 flake of Mac Baren vanilla cream. My smallest Pipe is #1 the diameter of the chamber is 22/32 and 1/1/2" deep on a taper this pipe will only take 1/2 a flake and it will smoke about 20 Min. Let me hear from you. I NEED THE FOLLOWING BOWL DIMENTIONS TO COMPUTE VOLUME. INSIDE DIAMETER, DEPTH, AND IF THE BOWL IS TAPERED, SEMI TAPERED OR STRAIGHT,

<hr />

I CAN SEE THIS CONTEST WENT OVER LIKE LEAD. TO COMPUTE THE SMALLEST FLAKE PIPE I COMPUTE THE VOLUME OF A CYLINDER OR CONE. MY SMALLEST KRISWILLS BOWL IS ONLY .186 CUBIC IN. THE WINNER OF THE CONTEST BY DEFAULT IS MGTARHEEL AS HE WAS THE ONLY RESPONSE WITH DIMENSIONS. HIS PIPES BOWL VOLUME IS .629 CUBIC INCHES. SECOND PLACE GOES TO PIPELEISURE "DEREK WHO GETS THE BOOBY PRIZE FOR THE TOM THUMB PIPE. THANKS TO THOSE FOR PARTICIPATING PMS HAVE BEEN SENT.​

I was just smoking my smallest flake pipe as I read this post. Had some SG 1792 Flake in it. My smallest pipe is a Chacom Deluxe from the 1970s. The chamber diameter is 3/4" and the depth is 1 1/4". It is 5 1/4 " long.

PipeLeisure":k9y7lwu1 said:
OK here is my smallest flake pipe :lol!:

I was wondering how long it would be before a Tom Thumb showed up. Do you smoke it? What is the bowel dia, and depth and what do you smoke in it
'

hows this one Derek? :mrgreen:

Dumb question - why are small pipes better flake smokers?

Most of my pipes are pretty large, but I have an older GBD Prince coming my way soon.

Small size overall isn't that big a factor (although airway length is decidedly a variable in the experience).

Chamber dimensions and size are the keys. Bowls with diameters of 13/16" or less are easier to keep flakes lit evenly in for the first half of the outing, and the minimal depth of a prince, bent bulldog or apple avoids the "too much of a good thing" syndrome (a condition that will dawn on you as a possibility when you're still smoking a larger pipe at the two hour mark).

:face:

Interesting and I get you on the experience. The first time I smoked FVF was in my large Castello and it nearly put me down. My smallest pipe is a Group 5 Chimney Dunhill and that has become my FVF/OGS pipe.

Yak":tig1382y said:
Small size overall isn't that big a factor (although airway length is decidedly a variable in the experience).

Chamber dimensions and size are the keys. Bowls with diameters of 13/16" or less are easier to keep flakes lit evenly in for the first half of the outing, and the minimal depth of a prince, bent bulldog or apple avoids the "too much of a good thing" syndrome (a condition that will dawn on you as a possibility when you're still smoking a larger pipe at the two hour mark).

:face:

riff raff":lhsnkb08 said:
Dumb question - why are small pipes better flake smokers?

Most of my pipes are pretty large, but I have an older GBD Prince coming my way soon.
I'm sorry you think my post was a dumb question. I most likely did not explain myself properly. As YAK understood the question it is not the overall size but the OD, depth, and whether the bowel is tapered, semi tapered, or straight that determines the bowl capacity. That is what I was asking. I thought that someone ( DEREK) would bring up a tom thumb pipe and I have allowed for that. I have been looking at this forum daily for 8 months before becoming a member. I don't post or reply much as you can tell. I thought this little contest would be fun and bring a small Christmas cheer to one or two brothers. After-all that's what we are here for. THANKS :santa:

Spud, I think Riff raff was using the 'dumb question' as a disclaimer to his own query, & not referring to yours.

*laughs* Yeah, I think riff's just trying to figure out specifically why there's an agreed truth to smaller pipes being better for flake (...a notion I did not know until now... hark! another pipe mystery for me to personally explore...). He's not a heady kind of guy, so really, on his behalf, no challenge, brashness or insult was intended by him whatsoever. We ain't that kind of folk in general. Usually. ( :face: ) :)

Stackle2":qoqj6ce9 said:
Spud, I think Riff raff was using the 'dumb question' as a disclaimer to his own query, & not referring to yours.
I am to old to take anything seriously anymore. Just trying to have fun. If it seemed that I was getting huffy with RIFF RAFF that was not my intention. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here's a few of mine. They're all in line with a dunhill group 1 size with exception to the two on the bottom. :lol: Sorry for the weak cell phone pictures.

The top one was my great grandfather's pipe and it's stamped JM in a circle. (one of the HOTTEST smoking pipes that I've got)
The second is a Kaywoodie Kohinoor 8742K
The third is a 1966 dunhill group 1 Bruyere (birth year pipe)
The fourth is a 1927 dunhill patent shell group 1 size although group size not stamped at that time. (probably the ugliest dunhill pipe I've ever seen).
The fifth is a Weber Short Snorter with a wider bowl but a shallow depth. Also a group 1 size in relation to capacity
The two on the bottom are Baby Wellingtons. I've only smoked one of them and it's basically a waste of time as you'd imagine.

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

Top pipe in this pic is a 1943 dunhill bruyere patent Group 1 size although not stamped. (was my grandfathers')
Middle is a 1966 dunhill bruyere group 2 (birth year pipe)
bottom is a 1964 dunhill root bruyere group 2
IMAG0134.jpg

I've got several more like Falcons and Yello-Bole, Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodies that have small bowls and are good smokers.

This one is a good smoker and somewhat different. An Eagle Light-Cool Dry pipe from Italy that is along the lines of a Falcon. It's got a screw on meerschaum bowl and is a nice smoker for flakes.
IMAG0132.jpg

I smoke a lot of FVF, Kendal Creme, Chocolate flake, BBF, Christmas Cheer, Irish Flake, Univ flake...list goes on.

SPUD 15":ooqt0xii said:
Stackle2":ooqt0xii said:
I am to old to take anything seriously anymore. Just trying to have fun. If it seemed that I was getting huffy with RIFF RAFF that was not my intention. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
That comment was most definitely aimed strictly at myself!

dbreazeale":xozn6wob said:
Here's a few of mine. They're all in line with a dunhill group 1 size with exception to the two on the bottom. :lol: Sorry for the weak cell phone pictures.

The top one was my great grandfather's pipe and it's stamped JM in a circle. (one of the HOTTEST smoking pipes that I've got)
The second is a Kaywoodie Kohinoor 8742K
The third is a 1966 dunhill group 1 Bruyere (birth year pipe)
The fourth is a 1927 dunhill patent shell group 1 size although group size not stamped at that time. (probably the ugliest dunhill pipe I've ever seen).
The fifth is a Weber Short Snorter with a wider bowl but a shallow depth. Also a group 1 size in relation to capacity
The two on the bottom are Baby Wellingtons. I've only smoked one of them and it's basically a waste of time as you'd imagine.

Top pipe in this pic is a 1943 dunhill bruyere patent Group 1 size although not stamped. (was my grandfathers')
Middle is a 1966 dunhill bruyere group 2 (birth year pipe)
bottom is a 1964 dunhill root bruyere group 2

I've got several more like Falcons and Yello-Bole, Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodies that have small bowls and are good smokers.

This one is a good smoker and somewhat different. An Eagle Light-Cool Dry pipe from Italy that is along the lines of a Falcon. It's got a screw on meerschaum bowl and is a nice smoker for flakes.

I smoke a lot of FVF, Kendal Creme, Chocolate flake, BBF, Christmas Cheer, Irish Flake, Univ flake...list goes on.

I really like your great granddads shes a real beauty. I have some hot smokers as the flakes carry more moisture which makes them burn hotter plus the sides of the bowl are thinner which doesn't help much. send the dimensions of your great granddads and the wellington. id, depth. and shape ( straight. taper, semi taper ) as I need to find the volume in cubic inches. thanks MIKE

Those are some very interesting pipes dbreaz, thanks for sharing. I wish that I had some of either grandfathers pipes. One was a fairly well off Hungarian, I can only imagine what he had. The other a dirt poor Welsh coal miner in PA, but who knows.