When do you decide to throw food away?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Here are several situations:
1. The best use date was 3, 6 or 12 months ago.
2. You found a bug in a bag of ....
3. There are a few rotten spots on.....(eg. tomatoes, bananas, apples, etc)
4. A can of ....expired last year.
5. Frozen meat in your refrigerator has no label, but you know what species it came from.
6. Cheese has all sorts of green thing on it.
Thanks,
I need your help

1. The best use date was 3, 6 or 12 months ago.
2. You found a bug in a bag of ....
3. There are a few rotten spots on.....(eg. tomatoes, bananas, apples, etc)
4. A can of ....expired last year.
5. Frozen meat in your refrigerator has no label, but you know what species it came from.
6. Cheese has all sorts of green thing on it.

1.) Depends on what it is. Acidic stuff, no. Dry, unopened bag stuff, no. Eggs, yes.
2.) Depends on what it is. Infested with bugs, yes. The occasional hitchhiker in produce, no.
3.) Nope, cut 'em off, enjoy. Soft bananas are actually quite good.
4.) Can? Not likely. If the thing ain't blowin' up like a balloon, it's dinner.
5.) Frozen meat still in the freezer or frozen meat in the refrigerator? Frozen meat in the freezer, up to a year, so long as there's no freezer burn. Even if there is, chili/stew time. 8) Meat in the refrigerator? I've kept beef in there, in packages, for up to a week. It's called aging. So long as it's gray spots and not black or green, it's damn good.
6.) Cheese is already bad. Mold on cheese may make it taste less than it was originally intended. Sometimes this is a good thing. In the case of Stilton, which I'm not a fan of anyway, the more, the better. If it's cheddar, it may be a bit funky, but... see #5 about chili. 8)

I hate wasting food, and I cook quite well. Ask me sometime about what I called "dumpster chili" that I won a chili cookoff with. :lol: Yes, it was perfectly safe to eat. And it was delicious.

+1 to all of the above. If you can remove the offending parts, then the rest is just fine. If there's a general bad smell, swelling, an infestation, then probably time to take a loss.

Let me be a little more practical.
Lets say that you have a bag of frozen (1) chicken, (2) ground beef or (3) fish sitting in you freezer without any labels or information about purchase date and you are deciding what to have for dinner.
Do you:
(1) thaw them out at room temp,
(2) thaw them out using a microwave,
(3) ask who is coming to dinner or
(4) order a pizza.
Thanks,
Bub

Assuming no freezer burn, and the bags are sealed tight, thaw them submerged in cold water, changing the water every half hour. Then give 'em the sniff test.

A fridge thaw would be even better, but we're pretending we're short on time, no? The rate on cold water thawing depends, but it's about 1lb/hr.

If you don't have that long, then time to call Pepe's for a large pie--just let it thaw in the fridge and try again tomorrow.

Haha, im the opposite. I only eat it if it does growl back :lol:

In seriousness though, i would probably get rid of it in all of those situations. I never did buy into the whole "its bad to waste food" thing, to my wife's dismay. She is pretty much the opposite.

I dont like wasting money though, so i try not to buy anything expirable that i dont plan on eating within a couple of days. I generally subsist on oatmeal & dried fruit, and the occasional small animal that wanders too close.

"Do you have anything to eat in the fridge?"

"Um, yeah, there oughta be some Chinese in there somewhere, help yourself."

"Great! Here it is. Oh cool, I love the Hong Kong Grill! I thought they'd gone out of business two years ago though?!"

:silent:

Bub":08we4k84 said:
OK...what is dumpster chili?
Glad you asked!

A few years back, I made prize-winnin' "Dumpster Chili."

It consisted of a strange combination of exotic meats (meaning, exotic to my memory as I had forgotten them, and it was some venison and elk that got shoved waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the freezer...whoops)... a few cans of actual, genuine dumpster-dove white navy beans and black-eyed peas. The labels were ripped off and they had no idea what they were. Same thing with the fire-roasted tomatoes I found. In addition, there were these crop-raided chili peppers I got from this house in the neighborhood that went into foreclosure or something... the garden was dying, so I watered it a few times in my walking travels just to see if it'd survive... well, it did, so I helped myself to the bounty. Dried 'em out, saved 'em for just such an occasion!

A few spices, a can of beer I begged from a neighbor, some liquid smoke and a Presto pressure cooker someone was throwing out (no idea why, nothing wrong with it, just old...) some time and voila, dumpster chili.

You're probably asking yourself now, "Okay, Kyle, you're a weirdo, we're gathering this... why are you trash diving for stuff?"

Long ago in a far away land, one which shall be known as adolescence, I had a really hard time. So hard, it required me to do many things to survive. Not all of them have fully left me, and until recently, were still somewhat in practice (especially the food searching). I never liked the idea of food stamps or the food bank (being homeless makes you really hate homeless people) so I became a survivalist. My mother's side of the family has a history of junk collecting, and I'm no different, I simply justify it by collecting what I deem "functional." Now a days I do it a bit more traditionally, but not much. People moving out (or even moving in) are great curbside freebies, I love garage sales, flea markets, thrift and consignment stores. As much as I like to live the good life, have excellent taste, fancy myself a do-it-yourself intellectual, I can't forget where I came from. (I call it "sophistitrash.")

The chili contest in question came about from one of my father's friends, who unfortunately died in a motorcycle accident about a year ago (damn shame, the guy was rad), and I was invited to join in, the host knowing I was a culinary devotee and "foodie." Well, first place out of thirty entries. All the guys were home brewers and pretty well off financially, so of course I snickered a little at the oohs and ahhs over my creation. No, I didn't tell them. Nor did I serve anything that would have harmed anyone--just acquired my ingredients from unique sources. Isn't that what a good cook does? :D

"Dumpster Chili" was not the name I gave it until well after the event was over. I didn't even tell my father, who thought it was quite funny.

Yes, it really was that good. Nope, I don't remember the recipe, many of those are one-shot deals, anyway.

I know, I spin good yarns, but there's no hyperbole in my stories--I have led one interesting life. I'm gonna be real interesting 30 and 60 years from now. "Eccentric," will pale in comparison, I fear. Sheesh.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you wheel your fridge, contents and all, out to the street, go to Home Depot and buy another one, then go buy some fresh food and start over. And here's a novel idea, buy fresh food and eat it, then go buy some more :lol:

Thaw chicken under refrigeration or in a clean sink with cold running water. Fresh chicken definitely needs to be used or discarded by the use-thru date. I wouldn't hold fresh chicken under refrigeration more than 3 days and 41 degrees or lower temp. A higher temp cuts at least a day off that time.

Eat Safe!