Where are good places to buy...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...caranuba wax? I know there's guitar polish that's basically (says it is) caranuba wax, but... is there a better/cheaper/stronger variant/brand I can count on?

Also, alcohol-based stains...? Who's gonna have 'em, generally speaking? Would the be known as something else other than "alcohol-based stains," so I don't risk the deadpan-salesguy-face when I walk into a store? Not a huge town, this Reno place.

Obviously I'm asking because I'm...er...attempting to carve a pipe. Rather, I have, or...I'm trying...I just need to take the next step soon.

Kyle,

You can always go through PIMO, but I'm a bit cheaper. If you have a leather crafting supplier in town, you're in luck. Leather dyes are alcohol based, and the selection at your disposal can be amazing. You also will discover different waxes there. Another good place to find waxes are specialty wood shops, plus you might find a chunk of spalted or burl wood that you could make a nice pipe holder/caddy from.

Happy hunting,

As usual, prompt and useful information: you guys rock. :) Thank you.

I've actually decided to leave my first project unstained, as this chunk of briar has almost a red-clay look to it that I think with the right shellac, would help distract the onlooker from my questionable carving skills. 8)

I have recently tried Paragon pipe wax, Takes a little fineness but does a nice polish look on smooth pipes.

I know that some guitar finishing suppliers carry alcohol based stains... Try Warmoth.com or look up Dan Erlweine and see if he has any suggestions on where to get stains.

Erik

Frontkämpfer 72":1pzu3cb8 said:
I know that some guitar finishing suppliers carry alcohol based stains... Try Warmoth.com or look up Dan Erlweine and see if he has any suggestions on where to get stains.

Erik
Luck would have it, my father-in-law is kind of a crazy luthier, and I bet he'd have a few stains. Can I handle a green and yellow sunburst pipe, though, that's the real question. :lol:

My local Tinder Box sold me a chunk of carnauba for $3. Problem solved. 8)

I get my carnuba from e-bay. I'll try to find the name of the man that I bought from. I got two 4 oz chunks for less that ten dollars.

Last lot I grabbed was Woodcraft.
A block will last you.... from what I can tell, 10 years as a pipe restorer :D

My Tinder Box supplied me with a 2 oz puck a while back. 8) They said any time I need it, let 'em know. $3. :)

I doubt I'll use this one up in five years.

Lesath":71faueo1 said:
Hey John,

That stuff is like magic. I'm partial to the give in vulcanite stems, and that stuff is far easier than compounding and buffing.
Hi Lesath -

Yes, it's great stuff! I don't have many vulcanite stems but when I give them the "treatment" every so often, they end up looking like acrylic.

My lord, people, for the last time, thank you, but I have some now. :lol: Unless you really want to keep posting suggestions and not reading the whole tread. I mean, cool, but... :lol:

I don't know where to fund stains, butpipeandcigars has paragon wax for like 6 bucks. Cheapest I've seen it.

I have a big bottle of martin guitar polish.
Does anyone know how well this would work for pipes?

Kyle Weiss":nowkt19t said:
My lord, people, for the last time, thank you, but I have some now. :lol: Unless you really want to keep posting suggestions and not reading the whole tread. I mean, cool, but... :lol:
So basically what you're saying is that you're still looking?

:lol:

:cheers:

facepalm.gif

:cheers: