Where to begin?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenceS

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to take a crack at pipe carving, but have no idea where to start? I have a dremel that barely ever gets used, so I thought that would be something good to have. I've also seen the pre-drilled kits too. Are there any good books or videos that anyone can recommend? I have absolutely no idea how to stain, and finish either.

Thanks,

-Laurence

Make a "Mock-up" first...if it isn't too late.
Any old chunk of hard wood, oak etc., will serve this purpose. Try the support blocks from an old shipping pallet...check for nails...especially hidden nails, before you mess up a good saw blade or drill bit. The mock up will let you know what tools you need and how to use them. Same with staining and finishing. Don't be concerned with the finished appearences. This is just to find out what you need. JMHO

Good luck and remember...your first one may or may not be on the same level as Mr. Davis.

Bill

i.keenum":f6j7e39m said:
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page is a great site. All i used was a prebore kit, dremel, sandpaper, old english, and beeswax; for my first pipe.

Great lookin work pal. How do you git past the Smell of the Old English? And wouldnt it soak in a good bit? Ive seen people use the stuff in other types of woodworking and it soaks in almost an inch.

I put a light coat on mostly for the color and the smell hasn't lasted more than a hour or so , no lemon flavored after taste or anything actually smokes great , huge bowl love it

I am in the same boat. After just purchasing my first ebauchon from Pimo.com, I also decided to buy their pipemaking guide. It's a bit dated, from 1976, but covers the basics. I imagine that the essence of pipe making really hasn't changed so much. It is funny to read in the book about "mail order" and all things "pre-internet." It's hard to imagine that we ever lived in the world without being completely connected, all the time. I've read through about 1/3 of the Pimo book, and it has been very instructive. Today I tried out the dremmel, just on the edges near the shank. It looks like I'll need several and extremely coarse sandpaper attachments. I'm going to also do what's been mentioned here, and the book mentions it also so I will take an old piece of wood and practice first. I was amazed by the hardness of the briar. Wow, the little wood saw (I think it's called a bow saw) I used to cut a tiny sheet off the front of the ebauchon, had a surprisingly hard time.

Also, from Pimo you can buy the various stains in powder form. The company is really nice and easy to deal with. They sent me a nice email after I submitted an inquiry about they products.

Oh, the Pimo book also tells you all you need to know, not only about the basics of pipe shaping, but also gets into stains, and stems. It describes the various types of materials for stems, how to shape them and drill them. Pimo also offers a tool for drilling the stem so it will fit into the pipe shank.

Best of luck, and I'd love to see the finished product.

Martin

LaurenceS":2d1j5bu2 said:
...I have absolutely no idea how to stain, and finish either.

Thanks,

-Laurence
No comments with respect to carving, haven't taken that leap myself.
As for staining the briar, check out your local shoe repair or leather goods shop. Can also be purchased online, but look for Feibings Leather Dye. It's the same thing as the powdered ones mentioned, aniline dye, simply premixed.

Get the wood glass smooth, with whatever method your using, sandpaper, micro-mesh, buffer or..., then apply the dye with the dauber. Have some matches or a lighter at hand and immediately after getting the dye on the work piece set it alight. You'll see a soft blue flame that will last just a few seconds then will go out on it's own. This is burning off the alcohol and setting the dye.

Leave the piece set for a day and then buff it by hand. I use an old tee shirt for this as you'll get some "loose" color off.
Now you can either stain again for the desired color or do a final buff and wax.

oh yes...
for sure go to: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/
if you can read the Pimo book - if not, not a problem - you will find everything on Pipemakers you can ever need....
i also started with Plateaux predrilled from Pimo - and in my opinion this is a good way to start - Pimo has good prices and a reasonable quality stuff...
when you check the galleries on Pipemakers Forum from the new guys showing their first pipe made and read the comments you will know what not to make and solve that on the first pipe ...
pipemaking is really not that hard - especially if you would like to make something for yourself and not high quality pipes... :)
so, give it a try... and good luck...

Krusty":f8plvebh said:
No comments with respect to carving, haven't taken that leap myself.
As for staining the briar, check out your local shoe repair or leather goods shop. Can also be purchased online, but look for Feibings Leather Dye. It's the same thing as the powdered ones mentioned, aniline dye, simply premixed.

Get the wood glass smooth, with whatever method your using, sandpaper, micro-mesh, buffer or..., then apply the dye with the dauber. Have some matches or a lighter at hand and immediately after getting the dye on the work piece set it alight. You'll see a soft blue flame that will last just a few seconds then will go out on it's own. This is burning off the alcohol and setting the dye.

Leave the piece set for a day and then buff it by hand. I use an old tee shirt for this as you'll get some "loose" color off.
Now you can either stain again for the desired color or do a final buff and wax.
Thanks! This will come in handy!