Where to start

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
I want to start snuff because of this new no smoking in company vehicles in michigan.  Can any seasoned pro point me in the right direction of what product would be best for a beginner and an overview of proper technique?

Overview of technique.  Ok so there are lots of ways to take snuff, i guess the two that I use most are as follows.
1. The pinch. This is probably the most discrete method of snuffing. You take a pinch of tobacco about the size of an apple seed between your thumb and walkingout finger. Bring the punch up to your desired nostril and use your ring finger or your index finger to block off the other nostril as you gently inhale you slide your finger off the pinch releasing the tobacco in a steady stream up your nose.  You then take a second pinch for the other nostril and use the other finger to block off the previous nostril. Slide the fiber off as you inhale again and your done for 10-20 minutes.

2. The box car.  Take your thumb and stick it against your first finger mid didgit and wrap your finger around your thumb. Then put the snuff into the box formed by your finger and thumbnail. Put the snuff under your nose and sniff. Again you only want a very little bit about the size of an apple seed (honestly you'll figure out how much is right for you rather quickly. I personally will coat my whole nail about an 1/8 inch thick). Then repeat for the other nostril.  

As to what to start with....well honestly I think that a heavy coarsely ground snuff would be easier to start off on so you don't snort it so high up into your sinuses on accident.  So I'll say that pöschl Dopplearoma, Brazil A, Perlesreuter, or Sudfructh would work out well and are dirt cheap (under $11 for 100grams). Flavors are really personal choice, they have pretty much everything from fruity to fermented stuff that is redolent of a horse barn in August. A favoite of most folks is a coffee flavor. There's also the question of menthol or not. Some folks are absolute fiends for the stuff others can't use it at all. The Pöschl sniffs I recomended above have no menthol at all. Lots of people would offer up Toque as a place to start but all of  the ones I've had were way to dry and fine to be an easy snuff. Willson's of Sharrow has a wide range of flavors to pick from. Most of th em are pretty dry as well but you have to start somewhere. I'm sure the others will chime in with better recomendations soon.

Hope any of this was helpful. Oh and how to snuff there are some great vids that will help on YouTube.  

Jim

Jim thank you so much!  I will be placing an online order for snuff today.... now im reading the rest of the threads here and thinki g i may have picked a bad time to start a new bad habit as the Feds are sticking their nose in everyones business. And snuff looks to be the next target

There are many ways to take snuff...my two most common methods are the ones Huffle talks about, although I never block off my other nostril when snuffing - that makes it way too easy snuff too deeply. Just a few notes:

1. Sniff very, very lightly. The goal is to get the snuff to settle into your nose, not fly back into the sinuses - that's unpleasant at best, miserable at worst. Start sniffing as lightly as you can - if it's not enough to pull the snuff, sniff a little harder until you get it right. Many different grinds and moisture levels mean that every snuff is different in that regard.

2. If you are snuffing a scented snuff (ie, anything more than just tobacco), it can help to hold the snuff in your pinch for a few seconds before insuflating - not because it makes it easier, but because the warmth from your fingers will help release some of the essential oils used to create the scent, giving much more flavor when you take it in.

3. You WILL sneeze, especially at first. Sneezing does not mean you've done something wrong.

4. Carry a hankie. You'll find that some snuffs take longer, others no time at all, but they'll give you the need to blow your nose at some point.

As far as what snuffs to try:

Early on, you should be looking for medium grinds with a fair bit of moisture. These are the easiest to take and the easiest to have settle where you want them. AVOID anything that's called "toast" or "scotch." These are very fine and very dry and most people need to have some sort of technique behind them before trying to tackle them. To that end, also avoid ordering anything from the Toque brand. Toque makes some EXCELLENT snuffs, they are will priced, have a wide range of scents and are all-around an excellent product...the trouble is that the grind/moisture make them a little trickier for newcomers.

As far as "user friendly" snuffs, I find that it's hard to go wrong with anything made by Viking. Also, if it sounds appealing, Sam Gawith Black Coffee (or Snuffstore Cafe Noir) are both easy take and very nicely scented. For something sweeter, you could look to anything made by Bernards. If you like - or you think you might like - menthol (not my cup of tea), Poschl makes some incredibly popular snuffs that are well known for being super easy to take.

I snuff at least as much as I smoke these days, so if you run into any questions, definitely post here...I'm no expert but I'm happy to offer any advice!

Oh and as you're planning on snuffing at work while you're driving I'd advise you to get a snuff bullet. I've never tried one myself but from what I understand they will make it so much easier for you to snuff and drive at the same time.

Jim

Thank you Ian i really appreciate you and huff taking the time to get me started right by giving me advice.  Back in the day the no smoking thing was a breeze... Id pop in a dip while driving and just spit in a mountain dew bottle... I had posted in life events "my dirty little secret from 2015" where i had been diagnosed with Thyroid and Lymphatic cancer and went through chemo and radiation treatments... since then my mouth is bad... my teeth have gotten very very brittle . Im having them removed slowly  about two at a time and letting my mouth heal and then having two more pulled.... If all goes as planned I should have a complete top and bottom plate by april.  My teeth going bad from.treatments is why i dont dip anymore...now while on the road i just pull off to the side kick my 4 ways on and lean against the front of my work truck and smoke a cig or two cause i dont have time to smoke a pipe during work hours. Hoping i will enjoy nasal snuff and be able to incorporate it into my daily routine.

Go slow with the removal, I didn't and it was beyond miserable. I had them taken 6-8 at a time and it's not worth the time difference. I'm sure you'll find snuff to be a very enjoyable way of taking tobacco. The aromas are amazing and a benefit is the more snuff you use the more acute your smell becomes. It causes increased blood flow to the nose. Really cool science behind it. I'm still healing from an extraction gone wrong more than a year ago, so I have hell right now getting a draw on a pipe so I've been snuffing instead and am doing between 50-75 grams a month. So hopefully if you have questions I can help or at least point you the right way. Expect your order to take up to 2 weeks if it's coming from England. Gotta love customs. Also be prepared for them to open and inspect anything they want to in your package. Just hope they properly reseal what they open.

Jim

Best Snuff for early trials to long term dessert island usage...

Poschl Gawith Apricot. Be careful ordering cause there's a regular Gawith Apricot too and it's totally different. Find the Poschl in the German section. It has menthol, a fair amount, but is THE number one Snuff for a reason. EVERYONE buys it.

McCrystal's Original and Genuine

McCrystal's Hops (no menthol)

Fubar Medic (reports of extreme strength are exaggerated)

McCrystal's English Menthol

Wilson's Grand Cairo (no menthol)

Thanks again blackhorse, as in everything in life your words ring true. Good medicine!