Your preferred RH

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
I know that the old saw say to aim for 70/70, but it seems like a 65 RH is more favored around the internet these days.

So for those of you guys who maintain a well stocked humidor (or coolidor, tupperdor, or anyotherdor), what's your preferred humidity level? I've always aimed for 70 but then let it drift a bit below, but I dont usually get down to 65. If I had to nail it down, I'd say I prefer the 67-68 range, but I'd have a hard time maintaining something so specific for a long period of time.

If you're going to get REALLY specific, some cigars are going to do better at 70, some at 65 ... for aging, you're going to want to shoot for 70, for shorter term, 65 ... maintaining either of those RH is as easy as flying a plane on auto-pilot ... humidity beads are the answer and you can get them in either 65 or 70 ...

My plastic bin of cigarness is at 65. I'm not trying to age any 'gars. Just smoke 'em.

Well I shoot for 65-70% but it varies as the temperature fluctuates. Temp and humidity seem to rise and lower together. 

Like gravel I'm not holding for long term so I'm pretty lax.

its a slight bit of a trade off / catch 22.

RH t 70% will be optimum aging conditions but also leads toward mold and a bit difficult to smoke.
Again, as an old time cigar smoker, we age our cigars in tupedors at RH70% and monitor to make sure fresh air is ciculating regularly. THis keeps away the mold (circulating air) and then once aged to whatever I want them to I switcht them to my active smoking rotation humidor where the RH is kept at 65% because smoking at 70% is a bit too high to my liking and the draw is harder.
YMMV

David