10 year old Captain Black 14oz tin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
My dad found an old tin of Captain Black that I bought before my wife and I met, which makes it 8-10 years old. I popped the top on it and it's still really moist and has an amazing bouquet. So, the question is, do I smoke it straight or should I use it as a blending tobacco for other cavendish, burley blends? Just curious how you guys smoke Captain Black. It's what my grandfather always smoked, and I remember it's the first pipe tobacco I ever bought. Back then, I was so unclear on how to pack a bowl, light a pipe and anything in general regarding pipes, that I gave up on this tobacco. I remember the tongue bit was so horrific that I put the pipe down for a couple of years until I picked it up again.

Any suggestions? If not, I'm just going to smoke a bowl of it. Probably today! :)

Same here, my dad smoked it exclusively for years and still does occasionally.
Me too - one of the staples around here (actually I smoke RLP-6 which is Lane's bulk version of it).

Either way, just load it up and go. No need to mix/blend/cut/etc... It's fine the way it is. Being sealed in the tin, it should be as good as it can be. If anything, maybe the aging did it some good. I can't see how it could've gone bad.

Now that you know more about smoking a pipe and proper packing, there should be no problem. One tip for Captain Black - take it slow. As with most tobaccos, slow and steady is the best, and this is no exception. That is how you get the most flavor from any blend.

Here is what Trout Langston, Brand Manager for Lane Limited says about the Captain Blacks and Lane bulks.

"Lane 1Q is most similar to Captain Black Royal.
The recipes are in fact different, but if the question is which of the Captain Blacks is most like Lane 1Q, the answer is definitely Royal.

And yes, the same statement could be made about RLP-6 and Captain Black White.

When talking about the differences between Captain Black White, Royal and Gold, the key (though not the only) difference is the amount of Black Cavendish in each blend. White has the most, while Gold is all golden cavendish, with Royal somewhere in between. "

Until I saw this, I thought CBW = RLP-6, CBG = MV1000 and CBR = 1Q

Absolutely correct, William. Though not the same, it sure is easier to relate them to the appropriate Lane bulks for comparison. The other benefit of the Lane Bulks over CBW/CBG/CBR is no PG.

Rob_In_MO":v1af2s3k said:
Absolutely correct, William. Though not the same, it sure is easier to relate them to the appropriate Lane bulks for comparison. The other benefit of the Lane Bulks over CBW/CBG/CBR is no PG.
And they're available. :D

williamcharles":a74uo3qy said:
Rob_In_MO":a74uo3qy said:
And the Lane bulks are cheaper than their Captain Black counterparts as well. :cheers:

Yah, just smoke it. If you're feeling ambitious, get a fresh pouch of CB and see if there's a difference. One well known Web tobacco shoppe proprietor told me last week that the recipe for Captain Black hadn't changed at all since its intro. "Course aros don't usually benefit from aging and the burley might have taken over. But still . . .

Rob_In_MO":7y87v6l0 said:
williamcharles":7y87v6l0 said:
Rob_In_MO":7y87v6l0 said:
And the Lane bulks are cheaper than their Captain Black counterparts as well. :cheers:
And according to us the bulks are better!

I can't believe that at 10 years of age he can still fit in a 14 oz. can!

Prince Albert must be a dwarf come to think of it....

MisterE":p4xxzcx1 said:
I can't believe that at 10 years of age he can still fit in a 14 oz. can!

Prince Albert must be a dwarf come to think of it....
LOL