Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito

Charter member
Reaction score
In yymmdd format (the one I use most often), today's date is "111111".

But it's the same in the more common mmddyy format, and that completely irrational ddmmyy format they use in Europe. Whoever cooked that one up must live in a time scale so trivially short they keep time in nanoseconds.

Think about it. You attach a date to a document you're going to keep...or any document that you might have reason to refer to at some time in the future. What's the first thing you're most likely to want to know when you search for it—the day?

Sheesh...

Putting the month first makes a little more sense, but I've found that the one piece of information that's most important is the year. It's the most general. Then comes the month, and finally the day. From the more general to the more specific...exactly the same way you'd conduct any search. Start wide, and then narrow your focus. You know...the rational way to do it...

Oh, wait...Europe.

Never mind.

:joker:

And in a few minutes it will be 11:11 on 11/11/11. Get your digital watches out boys, photo op :lol:

Harlock999":lvnwm2e8 said:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Puff Daddy":cskhytzf said:
And in a few minutes it will be 11:11 on 11/11/11. Get your digital watches out boys, photo op :lol:
...and if you miss this opportunity, feel free to just set your watches to this date any ol' time. :p

...what I'd like to see is a Post Office meter/stamp with the Nov 11, 2011 11:11AM on it. 8)

What are you guys talking about? It's October 29th today.

Oh, you young people, and your newfangled Gregorian calendars. Get a haircut, hippies.

Doc Manhattan":xbxy6fgn said:
What are you guys talking about? It's October 29th today.

Oh, you young people, and your newfangled Gregorian calendars. Get a haircut, hippies.
I blame the Roman hippies.

This thread was just an experiment to see how long it would take to drive what was already a relatively trivial subject further into the mundane, thereby consigning it to complete oblivion.

I would say that it was a complete success. :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":pljzitr9 said:
You expected less...? 8)
What...you mean something less than rapid deterioration to a state of maximum entropy?

No. Not at all. It seems to be the natural order of things, hereabouts...

Nowadays.

...but there once was a time... (he trailed off wistfully...)

Not natural "orders" (plural); natural order (singular), and in this case—the case of entropy—the natural order is disorder. And you're welcome to it.

Have fun.

newjok12.png

Here in Mexico it's common to use Roman numerals to designate the month. 11-XI-11 for example. Practical for the day-month juxtaposition question. I dont know if that's make it easier to search for on a computer however.

Vito":73otndvb said:
Not natural "orders" (plural); natural order (singular), and in this case—the case of entropy—the natural order is disorder. And you're welcome to it.

Have fun.

newjok12.png
Oh geez, this could turn into one of "those" kind of conversations... :lol: Luckily, I'm smart enough to say I'm not smart enough for it. Back to bliss for me. 8)

:joker: ":5qht6wy0 said:
Putting the month first makes a little more sense, but I've found that the one piece of information that's most important is the year. It's the most general. Then comes the month, and finally the day. From the more general to the more specific...exactly the same way you'd conduct any search. Start wide, and then narrow your focus. You know...the rational way to do it...

Oh, wait...Europe.

Never mind.
On the other hand, addressing an envelope in Russia :

Gubernia (State)
Town
Street Address
Recipient's Name

:face:

Yak":by9yfn3h said:
On the other hand, addressing an envelope in Russia :

Gubernia (State)
Town
Street Address
Recipient's Name

:face:
See? That's what I'm talking about. It works the same way for space as it does for time.

I mean, if you were addressing a letter to Bobney Foont, who lives at 12 Owlsdick Lane in the city of Eatitrawrightnow, North Palooka, United Ploogs of Vestax, on the planet Smxtvnxtpft 4, over in Andromeda, you'd first specify the galaxy, then the galactic quadrant, then the sector, then...well, you get the idea. Mr. Foont's name would be at the end of the address string.

Not that our fellow humanoids have universally demonstrated a special fondness for doing things the rational way. But it's always refreshing to find evidence that there are occasional bursts of common sense. :mrgreen:

Smxtvnxtpft 4 , now those were the days. Big haired women with little skirts, little haired women with big skirts... And the cheese fries, oh buddy the cheese fries.
I miss those times. Used to stop in regular til the Trade Federation took over. Now it ain't nothing but a tourist trap. Damn Federation ruins everything they touch.
$1.98 for coffee they used to give ya just for stopping by. Meh

I wonder what ever become of Janice

puros_bran":g5kd21io said:
I wonder what ever become of Janice
Last I heard she wandered off into the wastelands with a pound of pipeweed and a big bag of funny looking mushrooms 8)