137 "sealed tins" on ebay, Where do you stand?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People establish the price since they compose the marketplace. And the marketplace is expanding to places where there are very few if any B&M dealers. I just sold two tins of SG's FVF to a person in China for $46.00 each. Personally, I love FVF and so I feel that this person deserves to enjoy it also. But how would he be able to buy this item and how else would any of us be able to reach a brother puffer who wants to buy it except through eBay? And an auction is the most just way to sell such a hard to find, even in the Western World, item since an auction is pure free enterprise. Gouging never occurs in an auction unless it is self perpetrated.

cachimbadeoro":6x8ay6mk said:
People establish the price since they compose the marketplace. And the marketplace is expanding to places where there are very few if any B&M dealers. I just sold two tins of SG's FVF to a person in China for $46.00 each. Personally, I love FVF and so I feel that this person deserves to enjoy it also. But how would he be able to buy this item and how else would any of us be able to reach a brother puffer who wants to buy it except through eBay? And an auction is the most just way to sell such a hard to find, even in the Western World, item since an auction is pure free enterprise. Gouging never occurs in an auction unless it is self perpetrated.
All excellent points.

With all due respect, you didn't know where the item was going when you put it on ebay, only that a brother puffer willing to pay market price was getting it. FVF is scarce, anyone who gets it is in need of it and will enjoy it. I don't begrudge you at all for selling it and making a profit on it, plenty of people do it and even if you wanted to sell it cheaply the marketplace would have bumped it up.

If you are concerned and wanting to reach "brother puffers" I can assure you that you are in their midst. You've come to the right place, BOB. I've had all my tobacco needs met right here on this site and many times at an ounce for ounce trade.

Peace-Mike :cheers:

Jazzman, I reread my post and can't find where I indicated that I knew where the product was going. As far as my knowledge of how and where the pipe and pipe tobacco market is growing, anyone who has been involved in this hobby for as many years as I have should know these details. Over the last many years I have sold pipes and related items all over the world and have seen markets like Russia, China, Japan etc grow. How else can puffers in these regions have access to hard to get items like the ones we have been discussing except through a worldwide resource like eBay? BTW, since you are from the gram for gram trading school, I have many tobaccos that I would trade you gram for gram for FVF. please PM me with your desires...

Oh, my mistake. It sounded as though you intended the item to go to China when actually through ebay the seller can't really do that, the item could end up at the neighbors next door.

I started this thread to get people's opinion on this somewhat controversial topic of buying sealed tins on ebay. The thread has morphed into a discussion of supply/demand, e-commerce,and the free market. All things I strongly believe in and relevant. Hell, if I had the cash I might even be interested in bidding on a tin of Balkan Sobranie(currently at $205).

I do take exception to people reselling stuff like the new Dunhill stuff and GLP JackKnife plug, items that are available or will be soon. That seems wrong, but that's my opinion. I also don't think seeing Camel cigarettes being resold is good for anybody, if anyone brings the Nicotene Nazis to the party it'll be them. The vintage pipe tobacco I consider an investment, do what you will with it.

Cachimbadeoro, I appreciate your knowledge and respect your opinion, I wish more of the brothers would "mix it up" a little on here. I just traded a Maiser for 8oz of Penzance but I WILL take you up on your trading offer, probably sooner than later.

Peace-Mike :cheers:

I buy tins on ebay every once in a while. I only do it when the prices is a steal, because I'm cheap. The last time I bought off ebay it was four tins of Peterson for about 20 USD after shipping. My lcoal B&M sells them for 10 USD each and the cheapes i found on the internet is for 8USD each with free shipping. I dont think I could bring myself to spend over 20 for one tin. But if you got the money to spend, go for it. I won't judge.