13th ANNUAL TAPS PIPE & TOBACCO EXPO>

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Gimper

Reaction score
Greetings from the oldest & luckiest Attendee at the show!

Let me say, at the outset, that I have been attending this show for seven or eight years &, without exception, this was the best location & smoothest run show in my experience. I could mention names but I will not for fear of omitting an important individual. If you went to the show, then you know the leaders of the pack & for those who were not fortunate enough to attend; more's the pity!

According to my sources, there were roughly 30+ exhibitors & app. 175 visitors in attendance. The show was held in a newer, more intimate location at the NC STATE FAIRGROUNDS in the MARTIN bldg. In consideration of the NC No Smoking law, all smoking was assigned to the covered area capable of providing smoking space & seating for all who cared to puff away.

As usual, the show was open from roughly nine AM until roughly four PM. As is usually the case, we had a nice mix of older exhibitors & several new participants so there were pipes, new & old, tobacco, new & old, racks, some clothing & accessories galore. The club added to the overall excitement by offering three separate raffles, loaded with tobacco & pipes as prizes all provided by some of the participating vendors. In addition, a silent auction was conducted with outstanding prizes offered by several vendors.

With regard to who sold what & how much, I don't have a clue. My little half table of new & estate pipes did enough to assure a return presence next year. Just a brief side story; I was told that the NC State students came &, as a general rule bought nothing. That being the case, I slithered out to the patio for a smoke & left the table in the capable hands of my lovely but somewhat shy wife. Ten minutes later, I returned to find her dazzling three students with her knowledge of Basket Pipes & their smoking qualities. Needless to say, she sold all three of the young men a pipe & one, a lighter. Therefore, I feel humbled by her sales efforts & will make the basket of pipes her domain for now on.

Overall, it was a darn good show, if for no other reason, than to have time to schmmoze with some friends from times past & to meet new friends under the banner of pipe smoking & an occasional sale. If I live to make next years show, I can only hope that it is as good as this one. The smoking lamp is lit!

Great report Grant!!! And as always it was a pleaure seeing you and your wife at the show! It was a fantastic time and we are all looking forward to next year!