$15 Peterson?!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnylaw13

Reaction score
yes thats right for $15.00 i grabbed my 1st Peterson, stumbled across this as a "Peteron's Karmeer" in the description it peterson was spelled right but nothing of karmeer, and it had some poor photos so i couldnt find anything out about it since the model was wrong, well i got it today to find it is a shape 53 meerschaum lines Kapmeer, the meer is a little beat up around the rim and it appears to have a few fills, and more odd than anything is it has a ghost, being new to pipes i was under the impression meer didnt ghost.. this one smells like a head shop stuffed in a sauna! or in-scents and cedar. out of 3 tobacs ive tried in it Lane 1Q makes this ghost very prominent, the pipe smokes extraordinarily well despite her issues. best smoker i currently have! i do have a question for the brothers though,

can i clean the bowl with alcohol and a cotton ball or salt? will the alcohol effect the meerschaum negatively?

well enjoy some photos and thanks for looking!

temporary_zpsde0b5c63.jpg

temporary_zpsd10672d6.jpg
temporary_zps00116cad.jpg
temporary_zps2c4d7751.jpg
temporary_zps9c238c9f.jpg
temporary_zps22c13e6f.jpg

I don't fancy meer pipes.  If it was mine I will remove the meer liner and smoke it as an ordinary briar pipe. The grain looks very nice.  Clean it properly and you will have a good looking pipe.

I don't know much about meerschaum, but I don't think you should use alcohol or a reamer on it. Supposedly rolled sandpaper is the way to go. On this particular pipe, I think I would actually "top" it (remove the top 1/8" or so) in order to remove the chipping. That's not a cool thing to do from a collector's standpoint, but the pipe is to smoke. That's a decent piece of briar, in spite of the fills. Not that it matters--it's lined with meerschaum.

I know sweet FA about meerschaum pipes, so apologies for this neophyte question. I have asked it on other forums and never gotten an answer, so it's either a very dumb question or a very difficult one.

Are meerschaum inserts available to drop into old briar pipe bowls that have been damaged? I ask not just for myself, but because that meerschaum insert looks hopeless. Sorry Johnny, I don't mean to be a downer, and as I say, I know zip about meerschaum and I could well be entirely wrong. In fact, I hope I am, or that replacement inserts are available.

JCB":4mbcnfnw said:
I know sweet FA about meerschaum pipes, so apologies for this neophyte question. I have asked it on other forums and never gotten an answer, so it's either a very dumb question or a very difficult one.

Are meerschaum inserts available to drop into old briar pipe bowls that have been damaged? I ask not just for myself, but because that meerschaum insert looks hopeless. Sorry Johnny, I don't mean to be a downer, and as I say, I know zip about meerschaum and I could well be entirely wrong. In fact, I hope I am, or that replacement inserts are available.
You can get meerschaum liners to go into a bowl but, there not easy to come by and need a bit of work to be fitted properly. Not something a layman can do without the proper knowledge.
Sadly in my opinion the pipe isn't worth much more then $15, I wouldn't do anything to it except clean it as well as you can without using a reamer or salt alcohol treatment. If you do you may just see the meer lining dissolve in front of you just from age not to mention soaking it in anything will soften the meer. As far as removing the meer lining and trying to smoke it, it'll just smoke hot and you'll probably just burn the bowl out because the bowl will be way to thin without the lining. Meer lined pipes I find are susceptible to cracks because the meer is so thin and the changes that occur when heated and the difference between the briar and meer expanding and retracting when hot and cold at different temps.
That pipe has definitely seen some hot smokes and abuse from the previous owner. As mentioned before I'd just gently clean the cake out and then with fine sandpaper, once the cake is pretty much off I'd use a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol to scrub the walls of the meer till most of the black is off remembering not to saturate it. Meer will hold a ghost because it's porous, I know, I have two meers that have had Lakeland ghosts and it took a bit of work to exercise them out using the method I explained. Each time I smoked it I'd let it cool and do it again till the ghost was down to a point that I could just smoke it out of it. (CMA) This is just my opinions and don't necessarily conform to general census.  :pirat: 

i think your math could be correct, it makes sense to me at least!

this sounds like a good idea but i know my luck and trying to "top" it would only turn out badly, but apparently it can be fixed with self hardening clay.

exactly what i was looking to know, thank you!

I've always been under the impression that the meerschaum-lined pipes were lined with pressed meerschaum rather than a block insert. But as Dennis Miller used to say back when he was still funny,"I could be wrong."

Idlefellow":kd02toqo said:
I've always been under the impression that the meerschaum-lined pipes were lined with pressed meerschaum rather than a block insert.  But as Dennis Miller used to say back when he was still funny,"I could be wrong."
I've a Brebbia Sun Author that supposedly has a block insert instead of a pressed liner. At least that's what they told me at SP.com when I purchased it.

Cheers,

RR

I would be careful with self hardening clay for a fix. I seem to remember that most have toxic ingredients. Pipe mud might work....IMHO....

Get hold of an old knackered Meerschaum pipe, something broke up beyond repair if you can find one and grind it down to powder then effect repair using the dust and some distilled water making a Meerschaum past, will fix her up right nice so it will.