1792,Dark Flake scented

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, they are night and day.

The only similarities I find are 1) the strength and 2) the bite-free quality.

DF Scented begins with the underlying DF combination of discernable variegated flavors along with cigar-like notes with a slight smokiness, and then layers on top the improbable flavorings. All the various elements maintain some individual presence in the final result.

1792 is, by contrast, alot of smokiness (not Lat-smokiness of course) infused deeply with the tonquin flavoring (sort of an off-kilter semi-sweet vanilla that one either likes or not). There is the dark-fired tobacco flavor present, but 1792 is more a fused end-result which makes it heavier and more monochromatic than DF scented.

I enjoy both very much, but they are very distinct from each other.

Thanks Warwick, also Good to see you, That's exactly what I was looking for..

I was grooving on DF scented. Thought maybe 1792 would be the cheaper cousin to date.. The descriptions sound similar but a description from either house is about useless. :D

1792 and Dark Flake scented are both dark flakes. To me the base tobacco in 1792 is milder and the topping is discrete (I almost have to look for the tonquin), while the base tobaccos in Dark Flake are stronger and are too harsh to inhale and the topping is strongly floral and in my face. My preference is for the Dark Flake unscented which has enough floral character for me from the dark fired Malawi leaf.

After trying a bit of both:

Wow... They aren't even in the same class....

DF scented blows 1792 out of the water, in strength,body, and flavor.

I think I've became a Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Snob in short order... Dark Flake Scented, Dark Birds eye, Happy Bogie... They've turned my pipe world upside down.

Have you tried GH Kendal Dark Thick Cut? I thought it would either be a duplicate of Dark Shag or Dark Flake, but its not. It has a pleasant personality of its own and I suspect would find a place into your GH likings.

I don't know if it is still an issue, but over the last several years, SG seemed to have had all sorts of quality/consistency issues with their 1792 & Bracken Flake. It did seem to me that the later 1792/BF was something of a watered-down version of what I had been buying just a few years earlier.