1792 Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
I bought a tin of this when I asked a local tobacconist for something with a good amount of N. Upon opening it smelled....weird. Must be the tonquin bean extract? Very dark roughed up flakes, I found I could not really pull a single flake out like you can with FVF. Upon recommendation from the same tobacconist I rubbed out the broken flakes and let it dry till it was just short of crackly.

I don't really know what to make of this stuff yet....surprisingly unlike alot of other tobaccos it tastes kindof like it smells. It definatley tastes strong and has a flavor I cannot put my finger on...makes sense since I've never had a tonquin bean before.

This may sound strange but it kindof tastes like you would imagine a wet gym sock left outside for a week would taste like..but...this is the weird part...it's not neccesarily a bad taste lol. I'm not saying I want to eat a wet gym sock btw lol...but I can't really describe it any other way.

It does have a nice nic hit thats for sure...but not overwhelming. It kindof gives you that couch lock feeling of not wanting to get up for much.

Anyways I can't decide if I like it or I want to not smoke it again for a long time.....this stuff has really stumped me lol.

Gimme some of your thoughts on this stuff.

Boxerbuddy":j8fm7bld said:
This may sound strange but it kindof tastes like you would imagine a wet gym sock left outside for a week would taste like..but...this is the weird part...it's not neccesarily a bad taste lol. I'm not saying I want to eat a wet gym sock btw lol...but I can't really describe it any other way.
Carlos":j8fm7bld said:
"Dead Mouse in a Tin".

I find just a bit of chocolate flavor in there. Like from a liqueur. Nice strength. :santa:
I have an unopened tin in my tobacco stand. Not too sure I'm eager to try it now though. :lol:

Definitely going to have to wait awhile and get these images out of my mind... they just may influence my perception of 1792. LOL

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=1&TID=1004

Third review down. Must be read to be appreciated. I laughed my ass off.

Furthermore, the descriptions both negative and positive are far from what I think I'd like...so I'm going to avoid this one. Sounds too sweet and I am not really partial to chocolate/cocoa flavors in my tabac.

But please, further your research and opine. 8) One day I'll have to try it because it is offered, and I hope to add to those who seem to either hate it to death or love it to pieces.

Personally I truly love the stuff and if that was the only tobacco I could ever have, IF I could always get a supply of it, I'd be quite satisfied. It's good stuff. You either love it or you don't. If you don't love it you either hate it or you tolerate it. It has enough vitamin N to satisfy a craving for a short while.

When I smoke 1792 I taste a mild vanilla which isn't surprising since the tonka bean is still used as a vanilla substitute in cooking. At times I taste something that I'm at a loss to describe. It almost tastes like cloves and vanilla at the same time. That's all I taste. The tobacco isn't very sweet and I don't taste any chocolate. Some folks say they do.

Another good smoke is Dark Flake Scented. It's flavored with maple, licorice and tonquin as well as some of the traditional British flavorings. Too bad that I don't know what those flavorings are. I've heard that it contains heliotropin and rose geranium but I can't say one way or the other.

I have four cats. When I light up 1792 two of them come running. They like it and Cooter, the little tom, likes to try and chew the stem if he can get to it. The little guy will fight me over the pipe. They don't act that way with any of my other tobaccos.

I opened a tin last week and it was already perfect for smoking as far as moisture content. The flakes are still intact. I generally rub it out in order to intensify the flavor. I really, really like the taste.

If you go to youtube and find the vids of a guy called Tamper Peterson he has a vid in which he shows how he handles a troublesome flake. His method works very well with 1792 after you catch on to what he's actually doing with his fingers as he loads that Shannon. Kick the vid into full screen mode and watch carefully. The first time I tried it worked much better for me than a fold and stuff. The second time worked so well I thought I had it down pat. The third time I tried his method it clicked for me and was a great smoke. I use his method frequently now. It works well with moister flakes than most of the other methods. He's happy too answer questions. Just tell him Chuck from Indiana told you to watch his vids and to ask if you have questions. He's great guy. Names Jim.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

williamcharles":yod7i3rj said:
I have four cats. When I light up 1792 two of them come running. They like it and Cooter, the little tom, likes to try and chew the stem if he can get to it. The little guy will fight me over the pipe. They don't act that way with any of my other tobaccos.
Funny, even the cats seem to be split over it. :lol: This statement had me laughing. :) Cats crack me up. Hell, I'm amused by any non-human animal.

Kyle Weiss":deaissl9 said:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=1&TID=1004

Third review down. Must be read to be appreciated. I laughed my ass off.

Furthermore, the descriptions both negative and positive are far from what I think I'd like...so I'm going to avoid this one. Sounds too sweet and I am not really partial to chocolate/cocoa flavors in my tabac.

But please, further your research and opine. 8) One day I'll have to try it because it is offered, and I hope to add to those who seem to either hate it to death or love it to pieces.
Jesus did that guy even review the tobacco? Seems like he just spewed a bunch of America hate lol.

But I will refine my opinion after I smoke more bowls of this stuff. There isn't much nuance in this blend and it doesn't change much as you smoke it, but having said that it did get slightly better as the bowl got to the bottom.

Boxerbuddy":atrfvovm said:
Jesus did that guy even review the tobacco? Seems like he just spewed a bunch of America hate lol.

But I will refine my opinion after I smoke more bowls of this stuff. There isn't much nuance in this blend and it doesn't change much as you smoke it, but having said that it did get slightly better as the bowl got to the bottom.
I'm not sure what it was, kind of non sequitur as are my ways, but... just made me laugh. It was silly.

How's the vanilla/cocoa thing? Do you get that part of it? Is it just... tongue-coatingly bad, or, are you just "couch locked" from it still? :lol:

I don't taste any cocoa/chocolate....but I can see where you would say vanilla. But it's not vanilla to me...maybe slightly vanilla-like...and no it's not dump out your pipe and throw away the tin bad.....I don't even know if it IS bad. Like I said I'm stumped....but I will smoke this several more times this week and maybe I'll be able to solidify my opinion.

In any case I don't think it's worth not opening a tin of something or not trying something cause of how it tastes to any particular person.....as we all know..and as I'm learning pipe smoking is just about the most subjective thing in the world, so Simple Man...pop that tin and subject yourself to the nastiness....or awesomeness of this stuff!

I've smoked 1792 since 2002 more off than on as I'd never been able to befriend the tonquin bean casing; but something happened this fall, and I found that I do like it, enough to motivate me to buy a pound.

But this has been one of the SG tobaccos of which it was tricky to get a fully realized version. I bought a pound of it and Cob Plug two or three years ago, and both of these versions had all the flavor but none of the strength that is part of 1792's allure. I was disgusted throwing this much money at it only to be disappointed, and I put it down.

I took my chances again this fall and got what I payed for.

To me the casing obliterates identification of the base tobacco. Its stands mute to the casing, but that's fine; this is 1792.

alfredo_buscatti":snfdzbc1 said:
But this has been one of the SG tobaccos of which it was tricky to get a fully realized version. I bought a pound of it and Cob Plug two or three years ago, and both of these versions had all the flavor but none of the strength that is part of 1792's allure. I was disgusted throwing this much money at it only to be disappointed, and I put it down.
That would be a major bummer, especially if money is tight like it is with me. I've never been able to try the Cob Plug.

You've really gotten me to thinking (damn, that's a dangerous thing) about why sometimes a tobacco seems stronger from batch to batch.
I had just put it down to my imagination. I just told myself that it was me, not the tobacco. Since it happens to others too...my imagination probably isn't to blame.

Version control is not one of SG's strengths. "If we don't have the proper ingredients to make a blend, make the best approximation of it even if those who bought a second tin based on the first get an interpretation." This has happened to me not just with 1792 but also Full Virginia Flake and Bracken Flake, where they made a wholesale recipe change, although smokingpipes tobacco experts said that the new version was a throwback to a prior version.

So WC, no, I don't think your taster is fooling you; you're just in the SG okee-doke zone.

Man, it's been at least 10 years since I've had 1792. Remember it being pretty outside the box, and wasn't sure that I even liked it at first. After I'd finished the tin I concluded that while it was quite different, it was in a generally good way. Took a while to grow on me.

Got a tin of this about a year ago, but haven't opened it yet. I remember Blackhorse saying that after about 5 years the Tonquin character mellowed out and it became sublime. Not sure that I'll wait that long, but I can always jar it up for down the road if it's strident.

Cheers,

RR