2 dunhill estates (advice needed brothers) (pics added)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
i local antique store has 2 dunhill pipes for sale for $12 each they are not beyond repair, i dont think, but im wondering if i could turn a profit reselling them as is. i dont have the time or resource to repair them myself

one is a smooth bent bulldog that has been repaired before (had band that partially covers the stamping on the shank) stem is in decent condition

the other is a sandblasted poker/cherrywood shape that could use a thorough cleaning/ polishing of the exterior.

both have a decent cake build up, perhaps too much, but not excessive; they both have some rim charring too

should i go for it?

most dunhills sell for a ton... so i was wondering if this could be a good investment

thanks brothers

Um, duh! Buy em for $12, I'd be willing to give you three times that much for them! Though, pics are a must.

Or if you just want them refurbished you might consider keeping them for yourself.

nogbert":mf90py92 said:
i local antique store has 2 dunhill pipes for sale for $12 each they are not beyond repair, i dont think, but im wondering if i could turn a profit reselling them as is. i dont have the time or resource to repair them myself

one is a smooth bent bulldog that has been repaired before (had band that partially covers the stamping on the shank) stem is in decent condition

the other is a sandblasted poker/cherrywood shape that could use a thorough cleaning/ polishing of the exterior.

both have a decent cake build up, perhaps too much, but not excessive; they both have some rim charring too

should i go for it?

most dunhills sell for a ton... so i was wondering if this could be a good investment

thanks brothers
Unless they are truly collectors pieces ( and you'd have to be REALLY up on Dunhill facts) and from what you've described, you would probably be able to get a bit more than you paid but NOT a "....ton" as you think. The big money goes for pristine pieces and these sound like like they may just be some nice older Duhills. If it were me, I'd but 'em to clean up myself and smoke 'em

Yes, as mentioned, talk them down. It's just good policy. Junk store 101: never pay sticker price before you ask otherwise.

8)

Kyle Weiss":bkox7gq1 said:
Yes, as mentioned, talk them down. It's just good policy. Junk store 101: never pay sticker price before you ask otherwise.

8)
and if they dont want to come down in price, just intimidate them with the pure awesomeness of your mustache! :p

and if you dont have one, I can fashion you one from deer hide , leather dye , and two sided tape! ( I'm working on the prototype type as we speak)

The mustache needs no introduction. I always get my bargained price. First time, every time. :twisted:

Except some shrewd old German broad, she actually went up in price. That's fine. I didn't need a $20 vintage cob. :pale:

8)

Kyle, I MUSTACHE YOU A QUESTION....Did you have a thicker mustache than the shrewd old German broad ???

just had to ask, I once met a Shrewd old German broad with a thick stash I would have been proud of!

I'm with Monbla on this one. You should definitely buy them, but once you've spent the time restoring them you'll be attached. Trust me. I've got a rack full of "rescue" pipes I had intended to flip at some point. Besides, when are you going to have another chance to own two Dunnies at that price?

George Kaplan":9rip29ks said:
I'm with Monbla on this one. You should definitely buy them, but once you've spent the time restoring them you'll be attached. Trust me. I've got a rack full of "rescue" pipes I had intended to flip at some point. Besides, when are you going to have another chance to own two Dunnies at that price?
Listen to George, nog.

Grab them, I can redo them for you if you don't have the tools/knowledge. Unless they are horrific, you can at least triple your money. Need some pix!

BUY THEM....NOW. Although you might have plans to visit family on a Sunday, pipes have got to be a priority lol.

i WILL buy them today.

unfortunately this place is an "antique mall" so none of the vendors are actually on sight, just clerks who can open the cases and such, so i dont think negotiation is an option.

im currently trying out a restoration company in arizona: Starfire Pipeworks he's banding and replacing a stem for me, and the prices are very reasonable. so if things go well with that i might send these there for refurbishing.

we'll see how things turn out.

also, i will post pictures and if they look manageble to you riff raff, perhaps i will send them your way! thank you for the offer!

pics to follow later today

nogbert":zbvzcb2q said:
i WILL buy them today.

unfortunately this place is an "antique mall" so none of the vendors are actually on sight, just clerks who can open the cases and such, so i dont think negotiation is an option.

im currently trying out a restoration company in arizona: Starfire Pipeworks he's banding and replacing a stem for me, and the prices are very reasonable. so if things go well with that i might send these there for refurbishing.

we'll see how things turn out.

also, i will post pictures and if they look manageble to you riff raff, perhaps i will send them your way! thank you for the offer!

pics to follow later today
You can still ask for a discount if you wish. Most dealers have already authorized 10% if anyone asks. Of course in this situation that will probably only cover the tax if that...

Just guessing, I probably would buy then too unless I saw apparent damage that I thought would be a problem. Hope you get a great bargain in these.