2011 West Coast Pipe Show Pics!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
Well, I returned from the West Coast Pipe Show last night, and it was so much fun, I don't know where to begin! There were wall to wall pipes and smiles all around, and the air was thick with pipe and cigar smoke. I really can't put into words how many amazing pipes were to be seen and handled, and how many carvers and dealers were present to answer questions or just shoot the breeze. The artistry and talent on display was staggering. I met up with Shane (S.Ireland) from this forum, and we had a nice discussion on collecting and pipe pipe making. I didn't get to stay for the second day, which is probably for the best, as my already weak resolve would have probably caved in altogether. As it is, I came away with a very nice Cavicchi bulldog, and it was just what I was looking for. This event will definitely be on my calendar again next year, and I will be better prepared for the sensory overload! I took a bunch of pics, and here are a few.
Thanks,
Chris.

Tonni Nielsen

Danish legend.

A couple of really nice J.T. Cooke bulldogs.

Two nice virgins, but I can't remember their names...

Mike Gukler of Briar Blues

Peter Heeschen and one of his bulldogs.

The pipe, and the hand that made it!

One BIG Ardor bulldog!

Some incredible Peter Heding pipes. And my finger...

Marty Pulvers, closing his eyes, and probably wishing that me and my camera would be gone when he opened them again.

A beautiful selection from the late, great Rainer Barbi.

R. Barbi

The mother ship saucer from Don Carlos.

Unidentified beauties.

Are you beginning to feel the sensory overload?

A selection from SmokingPipes.com.

Peter Heeschen.

One of my favorites from the show; A Poul Ilsted volcano.

Again

A mind boggling array of high grade Charatans.

Castello, anyone? I mean, how could you choose?

I'll admit to coveting this one just a little bit more than the others...

Different table, same result: Castello-copia!

Adam Davidson.

And one of his pipes.

One of Jack Howell's celebrated vol-kimos.

Steve Morisette.

A nice "sette". See what I did there?

J. Alan (Jeff Gracik)

Alex Florov. Maybe my favorite pipe in the whole show. I love this shape, and the execution is flawless.

Top view.

This Bjarne is one of the few bamboo shanked pipes that I really liked.

Another contender for best in show, in my opinion. Kurt Balleby brandy/egg.

Pearl Grade Larsen by Teddy? No problem!

Will Purdy

Purdy pipes!

Mr. J.T. Cooke

Blasted Rhodesian.

Some basket pipes.

Pretty lady!

This may have been the prettiest pipe in the whole place. Courtesy of Mr. Alex Florov.

$5,500.00?! :pale:

Tom Eltang. Maybe my favorite pipe at the show. How many times have I said that now?

Bamboozled!

An absolute dead ringer for one of my Sasieni's. Like twins!

The very dapper Mr. Gary Shrier.

Michail Revyagin

Lively atmosphere, and conversations.

Young pipe carvers confab.

Ernie Markle.

Hard to say, but this gigantic Castello may have been the largest pipe in the show.

Some very stout Becker morta pipes.

Kjeld Sorenson, Red Hat pipes.

S. Bang. Apparently, these guys are quite handy at making pipes.

Another gentleman with a promising future in pipe making.

Head spinning yet? Mine was, still is!

Parting shot: Four from Alex Florov. A Russian born, Chicago based carver's pipes, displayed at the Neatpipes, from Milan Italy table. In Las Vegas. Wow!

And that's a wrap!

Wowee! Great pics of great pipes! This is making me feel antsy for the Chicago show...

Those guys Bang & Former look like they have promise. I bet they'll do well in the pipe world. ;)

Sorry for these repetitive posts.

However, I've got to say that I would love to get my hands on some more of Peter Heeschen's work. His pipes have a style that speaks to me.

And damn do they smoke well!

Awesome!! Thanks for putting those up H! :cheers:

Did you guys end up getting together?? I'd love to see photos of some of the bro's too!!

Hey E!
The only Brother I ran into was Mr. Shane Ireland, and here he is:

And here's a cased set of Dunnies, just for you!

UberHuberMan":69l2mrmp said:
Those guys Bang & Former look like they have promise. I bet they'll do well in the pipe world. ;)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

WOW!

What else can be said? looks like a great show

Thanks for sharing

I can't believe you didn't bring me back one of those basket pipes. Couldn't have been more than a grand or so each.......

Great pics man. I really wish I could have gone. I went to a couple of shows over the last few years but they are too few and far between. It really is sensory overload, but it's worth every moment of gawking, isn't it?

Puff Daddy":gl8xrkyk said:
I can't believe you didn't bring me back one of those basket pipes. Couldn't have been more than a grand or so each.......

Great pics man. I really wish I could have gone. I went to a couple of shows over the last few years but they are too few and far between. It really is sensory overload, but it's worth every moment of gawking, isn't it?
Absolutely worth it!
And I have to tell you, the phrase "Castello lust, big time" popped into my head several times!

I don't believe I've ever seen a Castello as big as that giant you showed, that thing is a monster. Castello lust, big time there indeed!!! I agree with your assessment of that fiamata bent doggy you were ogling, a real beaut!

Hey thanks for putting those new ones up too!! Probably a good thing I couldn't make it this year. From the looks of things there's NO WAY I would've gotten home without spending a mint on pipes....

I mean, a whole table filled with Charatan high grades!!?? Fugeddaboudit..... :drool:

i had a really good time too yesterday. it was my first pipe show. can't wait to take a picture of what I got. the ony thing i have to worry about is having a room mate in the future that thinks i have way too many damn pipes. :D

Wow Chris, this post and the pics are just overwhelming, much more interesting than the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share it with us bro! 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for posting the photos Chris! For me, the next best thing to being at a show is seeing some great photos taken at one.

Jim

PS Shane doesn't look at all like his avatar. :lol:

Dutch":cqmrifg5 said:
Wow Chris, this post and the pics are just overwhelming, much more interesting than the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share it with us bro! 8) 8) 8)
No problem, it's my pleasure!

Thanks for posting the photos Chris! For me, the next best thing to being at a show is seeing some great photos taken at one.

Jim

PS Shane doesn't look at all like his avatar.
No, no he doesn't! :lol!:

I mean, a whole table filled with Charatan high grades!!??
Hey E, that was only one of the Charatan tables. The Charatan collectors were holding their annual meeting there... 8)